Manually partitioning and encryption with Calamares

I ’ m trying fruitlessly to follow the Calamares installer to manually partition and encrypt my hard drive; if possible, would you PLEASE write a step-by-step guide so that a complete newbie like me can accomplish this?

I couldn’t find anything on this topic in your instructions ( Install Parrot - Parrot Documentation ); Thanks a lot in advance!

Let me tell document team about it. Tahnk you for your suggestion.

I would be interested too.
Because all I found was this video that talks about manual Calamares installation but nothing about manual encryption.

Personally I prefer the standard installation (in 4.10) where it’s not too complicated to do a manual encrypted installation.
It’s a pity that the parrot team doesn’t let you choose between the standard version (for old timers like me) and Calamares.
But hey, you have to live with the times as they say. :wink:

Hi Dunkan,

THANK YOU for your answer and your hint; do you still have the 4.10 installation live image somewhere on your hard disk?

If so, could you possibly run it and see what the started process and its associated filename is (I mean the installer)?

I wonder if the same file still could be found on the current live image; maybe it could be started from the command line, what do you think?

I have a small suggestion to round up the content of my request:

If you are already (thankfully) writing a »howto« to encrypt manually created partitions with the Calamares installer, maybe you could also check if it works with the Debian’s password caching script »decrypt_keyctl« from the »cryptsetup« package to decrypt these partitions with one password?

The »decrypt_keyctl« script provides the same password to multiple encrypted LUKS targets, saving you from typing it multiple times. It can be enabled in »crypttab« with »keyscript=decrypt_keyctl« option. The same password is used for targets which have the same identifier in keyfile field. On boot password for each identifier is asked once.

https://cryptsetup-team.pages.debian.net/cryptsetup/README.keyctl.html

https://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=decrypt_keyctl

Thank you kindly for your help!

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.