Mapping 7 button mouse

Sorry if this is a bit basic for this forum. I tried searching both here and on the internet in general and can’t find a solid way of enabling extra buttons (like the back and forward buttons) on a mouse in linux/ Parrot. I’ve found btnx but it hasn’t been updated in years.

ParrotSec 4.2.2
VM Ware install.
Configured to multiboot with other systems? (no)
Old solution: https://github.com/cdobrich/btnx

no need to apologize! this is the best place for that quyestion actually! I was very lucky to find a version of the corsair keyboard and mouse RGB drivers that conveniently allowed me to remap (and utilize) the buttons on my gaming mouse! whats your hardware and maybe we can find you something on githb?

1 Like

You need to install xbindkeys and xautomation.

Create config

xbindkeys --defaults > ~/.xbindkeysrc

Run xev in your terminal. It will bring up a white box that will output mouse and keyboard events to console. So click the buttons on the mouse you want to assign, then in the output it will tell you the button number (button 1 for left mouse ect…).

Then in your xbindkeys config add

"command you want"
b:1

Where b1 is the mouse number from the previous xev command.
“command you want” will use xte, for example xte key m to press the m key when button 1 is pressed.

Sorry this was a bit rushed, hopefully it helps. If not i can follow up with more details and examples.

2 Likes

I have a Corsair Vengeance K70 and a Corsair gaming glaive RGB.

1 Like

When I open xev, the extra buttons aren’t registering at all.

Ckb-next/ckb-next on github

It moved again because the maintainer ‘dissapeared’ but you found what you were looking for :grin: all the keybinding and RGB you could want all in a nice simple gui with updateing capabilities for device FW! Its really well written IMO
(If this was Staples, you would totally get to press the Easy Button right now!) :grin::rofl::grin:

1 Like

Thanks a lot man. I’m new to linux in general, I take it my first step is to git clone the file, but I’m unsure what to do next.

Typically github projects have some sort of text instruction that is the basics of how to make and install with the correct commands, this one includes a linux link for install instructions and there you will follow the Ubuntu 18 instructions by copy and pasting the script to install the dependencies needed in order to actually build and install it (those are a little further down but all in one place) its honestly one of the most polished gits ive had the pleasure of cloning! Welcome to the LinuxFam! Feel free to ask questions when you cant find the documentation that you need or its not quite clear when you read it, thats often an issue in the beginning is learning the syntax more than anything!

1 Like