Mate / kde-plasma conflict = anonsurf trouble [SOLVED]

If a process uses that port, Tor can’t use that port for DNS.

Firewall is not IDS or IPS. It doesn’t help you that much from any threats.

VPN doesn’t help you invulnerable. Ofc encryption helps network attack. But that is not everything.

can’t understand your problem

Again, can’t understand the problem.

The start button uses anonsurf start command instead of native nim code for faster development and avoid duplicate job. If there is something wrong, it is about anonsurf start command or how system execute it.
I’ll need log for this problem.

@solo.nepal can you help me lead him how to use systemctl to get logs, please?

You seemed to have read my mind by including him,i considered it also…

regarding the vpn and fire wall,i guess i can understand that,and it’ just a matter of familiarizing my self with that approach.
i’ll try to see if brave uses port 53 ,as they do offer what they call a a private tor browser as an incognito mode,so it’s possible…?

regarding the anonsurf gui,it’s really just about performance dropoff during transitions…
initially it wasn’t an issue,but after my last update,it’s responsiveness has declined quite a bit.

while activating,i’ts not unusual to have to press start again to initiate the prompt to stop potential dangerous applications,to enable the service,the same is happening when attempting to stop it,the prompt can either take miniutes,or requires a second press of the stop icon within the gui.
also,the change identity feature seems to crash the gui,rather than change the user identity…
as i said,all this worked fine prior to the last rolling update pushed out,and i haven’t changed anything else…

it also appears as if the notifications are no longer working for the things described above.
so even once activated,there are no any notifications that the service is working…

it has no change about performance or anything in gui. It must be something else.

Yes it is not usual. Need useful logs for this problem.

Added exception to prevent crash. It shows error and print error msg instead.

hoooo the post is long
let me see from the beginning and catch to you guys

all are working fine on mine
every notifications pops up
the gui is not sluggish and lagging, they are working fine
wonder why you are getting that

same here,it started behaving that way all of a sudden…
should i try to reinstall it,or is there a log that would show that type of behavior?
like i said,it still appears to work,but much slower and at times requiring multiple entries of the password,with no notifications at all…
i inform you all because obviously its something i would like to resolve,but,i feel you should know about it,as you may run into it again down the road…?

it’s a long shot,but do you think that having both kde and mate installed on one system could potentially cause issues like this?
kde showed up on my mate system when the upgrade to 4.10 was released,which i believe you all have said was a rare bug.
ultimately ,i’d like to try xfce and get rid of mate and kde,so i’ll need to find a way to remove them anyway…

yeah according to what specs you stated on earlier posts, you should try xfce4
but its not officially released, as it is in beta state, you might face more bugs there
so for the moment stick to mate
well about the gui being sluggish because of having two DEs, i think it is not the case cause both are not running concurrently
so hard to tell about that
i would like to try that to recreate the problem but i am running out of space for the moment
if i got to make some spaces, i would like to try that and let you know

Yeah,xfce seems like a better option.
i’d like to do a video capture to better show what i’m explaining,but it seems you get it.
let me know if you find anything,i’ll do the same if i somehow resolve it…

ok mate
have a good day
stay safe

same to you…

does this mean anything to you?
i saw the last time i looked at the tor stats option within the gui…

Check /etc/anonsurf/torrc.base and disable sandbox option.

Perhaps someone can point me in the direction of the latest updates channel log,my thinking is that it may be possible that something there may point out what may be causing anonsurf to behave oddly…?
just a guess,but at least it’s start…

can you purge your anonsurf and install it again?

i removed it last night and reinstalled it,i’m still getting the same results…
i’m thinking having kde and mate running together somehow is causing the issue,because i’m not getting any pop up notifications at all anymore,for anything.
when i go to that options menu,it stalls as well when trying to do a popup notification preview…
so i need figure out how to purge kde,and perhaps anonsurf,correctly,without removing things still needed…?

whatever is causing this i’m assuming is also effecting the performance of anonsurf as well,but only you all could confirm that…

My thinking is that each notification that the gui is attempting to send is timing out,and therefore not displaying while also slowing down the responsiveness and activation of the service.
the fact that it still activates,eventually, instead of completely crashing each time speaks towards the job you all have done in building it,so kudos on that…
this other issue,though potentially not caused by anonsurf,is ultimately causing it to not run optimally…

Mate updated notification which is like gnome3. It could be some bugs from GTK framework but i see no problem on my side.