Modprobe vboxdrv virtualbox error

Briefly describe your issue below:
Trying to install virtualbox - v6
tried using apt-get install virtualbox - when I try to create a new VM I get modprobe vboxdrv error reinstall dkms and install the correct headers or vm will not run
tried using the synaptic manager - select virtualbox-dkms and virtualbox-ext-pack
same error when trying to run anew vm

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please install virtualbox-dkms package and load the kernel module by executing
What version of Parrot are you running? (include version, edition, and architecture)

Parrot Home 4.5.1 X64

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)
Debian GTK
Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)
No
If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:
DKMS: install completed.
Job for virtualbox.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See “systemctl status virtualbox.service” and “journalctl -xe” for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript virtualbox, action “restart” failed.
● virtualbox.service - LSB: VirtualBox Linux kernel module
Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/virtualbox; generated)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2019-04-11 20:30:42 +07; 3ms ago
Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
Process: 6692 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/virtualbox start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Apr 11 20:30:42 parrot systemd[1]: Starting LSB: VirtualBox Linux kernel module…
Apr 11 20:30:42 parrot virtualbox[6692]: Loading VirtualBox kernel modules…modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use ‘dmesg’ to find out why … failed!
Apr 11 20:30:42 parrot virtualbox[6692]: failed!
Apr 11 20:30:42 parrot systemd[1]: virtualbox.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Apr 11 20:30:42 parrot systemd[1]: virtualbox.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Apr 11 20:30:42 parrot systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: VirtualBox Linux kernel module.
Setting up virtualbox (6.0.4-dfsg-5) …
vboxweb.service is a disabled or a static unit not running, not starting it.
Job for virtualbox.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See “systemctl status virtualbox.service” and “journalctl -xe” for details.
invoke-rc.d: initscript virtualbox, action “restart” failed.
● virtualbox.service - LSB: VirtualBox Linux kernel module
Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/virtualbox; generated)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2019-04-11 20:30:43 +07; 3ms ago
Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
Process: 7044 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/virtualbox start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Apr 11 20:30:43 parrot systemd[1]: Starting LSB: VirtualBox Linux kernel module…
Apr 11 20:30:43 parrot virtualbox[7044]: Loading VirtualBox kernel modules…modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use ‘dmesg’ to find out why … failed!
Apr 11 20:30:43 parrot virtualbox[7044]: failed!
Apr 11 20:30:43 parrot systemd[1]: virtualbox.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Apr 11 20:30:43 parrot systemd[1]: virtualbox.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Apr 11 20:30:43 parrot systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: VirtualBox Linux kernel module.
Setting up virtualbox-qt (6.0.4-dfsg-5) …
Processing triggers for menu (2.1.47+b1) …
Processing triggers for bamfdaemon (0.5.4-1) …
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf-2.index…
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.23-4) …
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.62) …
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.17-2) …
Processing triggers for systemd (241-3) …
Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.5-2) …
Processing triggers for shared-mime-info (1.10-1) …
Configuring sandbox profiles…
Sandbox profiles updated!

running sudo dmesg
I get:

e=“firejail-default” pid=3261 comm=“firejail”
[ 1208.930713] vboxdrv: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout
[ 1209.862538] vboxdrv: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout

Ok so a fresh install - booted into live - Gparted removed all the partitions from m.2 drive rebooted - GTK install - didn’t run the auto update instead I ran sudo apt-get virtualbox - the installer ran fine and VB is now up and running fine, one thing I did notice was I was on parrot-13t previously it was parrot-20t

also ran Nvidia install and also worked fine - I am so glad I switched from windows 10 - lots to be learned but worth the effort.

unless there is an obvious reason the above worked then feel free to close as working :slight_smile:

Update I ran the sudo parrot-upgrade
there were some errors detected - couldn’t reach some of the repos towards the end of the process - rebooted - black screen - ctrl alt f1 - purge nvidia-* rebooted - loaded virtualbox - failed same error - something to do with the 13t – 20t version not recompiling - so looks like I can use parrot as long as I don’t update or it breaks VB and nvidia

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.