monitor mode operation not supported

Hello, i have atheros ar8162 and it has monitor mode and is able of packet injection. I tried it on ubuntu and on kali and it goes to monitor mode with no problem but unfortunately i can’t do the same thing with parrot os home edition. Yes i have my drivers installed and i have used the same drivers for all three debian based distros. can anyone suggests to me what should I do.
the error message is as follows when i try to use ip and iw
command failed: Operation not supported (-95)
the error when i use ifconfig and iwconfig is:
Error for wireless request “Set Mode” (8B06) :
SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported.
i also tried with aircrack-ng and it didn’t work

Different kernel versions sometimes require different drivers. Sometimes 4.x kernels support one driver, another driver for 5.x.

Check the drivers you used for Kali (and kernel version). Then attempt to match the kernel version to install the proper driver on Parrot.

If you are new to Linux and need steps for installing those drivers, I made a post in Tutorials section, including optional video linked there:
[[ Tutorial ] Howto Install Wifi Drivers]

Thank you so much for you explanation in the video once again. I have installed the correct drivers for my wireless card for it to work only in managed mode but that driver (wl) didn’t support monitor mode and that was the issue i tied some other drivers as well and they also didn’t work but at last i have installed brcmsmac driver and it supports both. now i have another issue which is the card returns quickly to managed mode i will try my best again to dig for the answer thanks a lot. I was so desperate i was about to install ubuntu :rofl: but thanks for your explanation i have stayed with parrot and i like it many thanks to all.

1 Like

Sure thing. Might help to add monitor mode to your search in the “Solved” quoted search.

You need to make sure it is a monitor mode capable driver.

One reported way for wl is:

sudo echo 1 > /proc/brcm_monitor0

Will start prism0 which should be able to enter monitor mode as long as current supported. Sometimes driver/kernel updates aren’t always a solution for monitor mode.

Another solution for that model posted here: Wifite monitor mode failed in parrot os - #12 by HTB

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help everything works well now!

1 Like

Happy to hear it is working for you. :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.