Need help with drivers (Specifically Sound)

Hey all,

So literally 2 days ago I bought a new laptop, to be specific it was the new Huawei Matebook D14. I am currently using linux instead of windows as I am so sick of windows. The distro I have is the latest version of Parrot OS Home. Now I’m generally speaking not a complete noob with linux as I have used it quite a few times in the past, but with the lack of driver support for the hardware in this laptop I’m at a loss (or maybe I really am dumb and I’m not looking properly lol). I had also considered using ubuntu but I wanted to use parrot as I used it once in the past and I quite enjoyed it, albeit it was working flawlessly at the time.

So when I went to install parrot I noticed it didn’t detect my wifi card, so I went ahead with the installation as normal. After installation none of the drivers were installed, which was fixed simply by connecting my phone as a usb hotspot and doing a sudo apt-get update/upgrade. That seemed to fix almost everything except the sound driver. Now the sound itself seems to work fine, however the mic quality is absolutely abysmal and when connecting a headset using the headphone jack it refuses to use that mic.

I’ve tried installing realtek drivers from their actual website, however I am now running into a bunch of errors when performing the ‘make’ command. I also am unable to perform the ‘./configure’ command again. I’ve tried multiple solutions on the internet but at this point literally nothing has worked.

I’d also like to figure out what drivers I actually have installed so I know what I still need to install.

Sorry for the long explanation but I didn’t wanna miss any details.

Cheers,

UnoDeaj05

P.S. I stupidly deleted the original files when I ran ./configure (which worked properly the first time) as I wanted to start from scratch, however I can’t seem to get configure working either so I don’t have that error message saved.

Output when running configure:

$./configure
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler works... yes
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
checking for suffix of executables... 
checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for suffix of object files... o
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E
checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /usr/bin/grep
checking for egrep... /usr/bin/grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for an ANSI C-conforming const... yes
checking for inline... inline
checking whether time.h and sys/time.h may both be included... yes
checking whether gcc needs -traditional... no
checking for current directory... /home/unodeaj05/Desktop/Rt-Linux-HDaudio-5.18/alsa-driver-RTv5.18/alsa
checking cross compile... 
checking for directory with ALSA kernel sources... /home/unodeaj05/Desktop/Rt-Linux-HDaudio-5.18/alsa-driver-RTv5.18
checking for directory with kernel source... /lib/modules/5.8.0-1parrot1-amd64/source
checking for directory with kernel build... /lib/modules/5.8.0-1parrot1-amd64/build
checking for kernel linux/version.h ... generated/uapi/linux/version.h
checking for kernel linux/autoconf.h generated/autoconf.h... no
The include file linux/autoconf.h does not exist.
The include file generated/autoconf.h does not exist.
Please install the package with full kernel sources for your distribution
or use --with-kernel=dir option to specify another directory with kernel
sources (default is /lib/modules/5.8.0-1parrot1-amd64/source).

I never face that problem so I can’t break down your problem. Sorry for that.
But I came here to make you know that Don’t use sudo apt-get update. Use sudo apt update or sudo parrot-upgrade.

And thanks for using Parrot :blush:
I wish your problem will be fixed asap!

I actually did not know that. Why is that?

Hello! Welcome to the ParrotOS community.
Well about system upgrades, as ParrotOS is a rolling distro you should not use sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade to update and upgrade the system.
Rather, Parrot Developers have made it easy to upgrade the system. Use sudo parrot-upgrade to upgrade the system
or
sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

And as for the sound probblem, you cah use Headset’s microphone. Just right click the volume icon present at top menu and go to Sound Preferences. From there you can do the modifications.
As for the buzziness in sounds, you should adjust the mic input.
Once you insert the headphone , a mic icon appears on the top bar and you can check which level of input gives your sound a pleasant one.