New laptop suggestions

(super_boy) #1

Hi all:

I am new to the parrot OS and just recently installed it on my old macbook air 2011 model and am just getting into the whole linux / debian environment. I downloaded the pdf handbook and slowly picking my way through it.

I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for new laptop? I am looking at surface pro or macbook again? I dont know if having touch is much of an advantage in this matter to learn hacking etc, but I plan on using the laptop for regular stuff too not just hacking …

Thanks a bunch in advance, I am excited to part of something new (to me atleast)

Regards,

Tz

(Kilian) #2

Hey, if you want to be able to install any system on your new laptop, don’t take surface pro, the driver for the touch screen and unincluded keyboard does not exist for linux, you won’t be able to use nor install other system than the provided windows 10.

(Tim Apple) #3

I can vouch for System76 hardware, it is Rock solid and designed to run Linux… if your on the other side of the pond, I believe Entroware is a similar company.

(super_boy) #4

that is very good news, except I am fairly new to all this so I dont know what the system 76 means :frowning:

(super_boy) #5

Thanks for the update, I will stay away from that touch screen stuff and my next laptop in the row was T470 lenovo or macbook … not the pro or air …

(super_boy) #6

I also have another dumb question, I apologize in advance, I plan on using this as a day-to-day laptop as well but even some long movies on yourtube are not streaming / very slow; is this hardware issue or software issue ?

if you want a laptop for both commercial and hacking you’ll need a laptop with minimum 4-8 GB. cuz you need to get your hands dirty. for that you may need to create virtual machines. for that minimum 4-8GB laptop is required.
touch screen might be not that useful in linux.
as you’ve said you wanna use it for commercial purpose too which includes gaming and office documentation.
only few are using libre office for office documentation and project documentations. so which means you’re gonna have a laptop which have windows on it i assume.
so you can go with a laptop with windows pre installed.
many peoples would say uefi system is quite buggy.
that may be true.
but if you have any problem with grub you can still boot into a windows boot loader through uefi.
so i would say you can buy a laptop with uefi on it.

(Tim Apple) #8

(super_boy) #9

Thanks for the information.
I will stay away from touch for sure then.
By commercial I dont need high end, I can work with Libre Office for sure, just need to be able to learn some coding / developing on octave, python for ML and be able to hack for the most of it. (may be some music and movies on the side lol)

Any major drawbacks of getting a macbook?

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/G0TX2LL/A/Refurbished-12-inch-MacBook-13GHz-dual-core-Intel-Core-i5-Space-Gray

• more than enough ram
  • ports gotta deal with later but its light and compact
  • process speed should work for both ?

(Tim Apple) #10

Macbooks are nice, only problem I have with them is the price to hardware ratio…they are usually a little behind hardware wise and overcharge, but you can’t beat the build quality.

(super_boy) #11

I agree, just nicer to use or may be I am being biased as I come from macbook air 2011 model right now. I dont know if that i5 low power would be good enough for regular usage.

I am not sure if systems 76 ships to canada, I emailed them regarding that,
Now that touch is out of the way, just narrowed it down to - macbook, lenovo t470 and systems 76

On that note pop-OS is new to me, which one do you recommend ? pop or ubuntu?

(Tim Apple) #12

It doesn’t matter to much. The beauty is if System76 you can guarantee any Linux distro will work on it. As soon as I got mine I wiped it and threw on Ubuntu-MATE…since then it’s had Parrot, Ubuntu, elementary, Solus, KDE-Neon, Manjaro, Antergos, Fedora…list goes on, they have all worked flawlessly on it.

(super_boy) #13

Any known issues with the hp spectre ? Any issues with touch ?

(Tor kzz ) #14

For system 76 and entroware, check this out man — system76.com and entroware.com

(super_boy) #15

I got the HP spectre and it was so delicate, ended up returning it.

Does anyone have any idea about the Google Pixelbook? Would that has issues with drivers too being touch?

(TheHashasin) #16

Continuing the discussion from New laptop suggestions:

Acer Aspire-E 15 E5-573-P6L8 Notepad excellent,ruggid,2tb hard drive and good price,everything works with Linux.

(Emma Smith) #17

if you want a laptop for both commercial and hacking you’ll need a laptop with a minimum 4-8 GB. cuz you need to get your hands dirty. for that, you may need to create virtual machines. for that minimum 4-8GB laptop is required. As you’ve said you wanna use it for commercial purpose too which includes gaming and official documentation. If you need more help then I recommend visited https://www.gmailtechnicalsupportnumbers.com/forgot-gmail-password/ this site.

(Emma Smith) #19

As you’ve said you wanna use it for commercial purpose too which includes gaming and official documentation. only a few are using the libre office for official documentation and project documentation. so which means you’re gonna have a laptop which has windows on it I assume. So i would say you can buy a laptop. I have Toshiba Laptop and its work fine, when I face any issue, I call on Toshiba Support Number at any time.

(Nico Paul) #20

Mac tends to be a little more restrictive in my opinion. Pricey for what you receive you could also build a desktop and remote when you need to not be home (not necessarily for pentesting wireless though, although you could get creative with usb on a phones/tablet)