NEWB Question regarding mounting external hardware via usb

Briefly describe your issue below:
i’m looking for assistance with understanding how to auto mount devices such as phones,mp3 players,hard drives via sata cables,etc.
i’m very much a newb and traditionally use widows 10 where it’s just plug and play when it comes to accessing files on via usb connection when it comes to external hardware.

i’ve tried reading the thread and have seen some instructions given to others regarding command lines,i’m just curious if there is a simpler way to access such devices?
is there a program that handles this,much like the file explorer in windows 10 when hardware is connected?

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version (e.g. 4.6), edition(e.g. Home//KDE/OVA, etc.), and architecture (currently we only support amd64)
Parrot 4.9 Home MATE ISO

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)

debian standard

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)
no

List your hardware specs to include make, model and firmware (when applicable):
hp HP 14-ac159nr

If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

you should read Forensics distributions

Will do<and thanks for the response…
i figured out what i was doing wrong,it was just a lack of knowledge in navigating the linux system having just come over from windows.
all seems well besides the random freezing of the os while using the browser,perhaps you could assist with that?
i cant tell if it’s a hardware issue or possibly the updated kernel not playing well with the very basic specs of the hp that i am using…?

OS: your pc must have at least 2GB of RAM to run Parrot OS
Browser: try these

1. Firefox uses too much memory or CPU resources - How to fix
  2. Firefox - Memory profiling and leak detection tools

Once again thank you for the response.

It appears that by enabling zshare i may have resolved the issue…?
it’s a bit too soon to say,but thus far,it seems to be responding well…
reading through this forum,i haven’t seen much mention of it as a resolution as it pertains to this particular issue with browser related system freezing,which seems to happen at least on a minor scale for others…
so,perhaps is a potential fix for some,or at least something worth trying…

excuse me,i meant enabling swap space…

the first link should help any other newb understand how to access and edit the line to enable swap space.

:thinking: ,never heard of “Zswap” nor used thus i cannot give any opinion on that^^
it’s completely up-to you ,yeah you can enable if you have less RAM

1 Like

here are the two links that i followed in order to make the changes.
i used the first to understand how to access and edit the line,the second was used to get a better understanding of what the changes actually do…

1. https://www.maketecheasier.com/use-zswap-improve-old-linux-performance/
    2.https://debian-administration.org/article/724/Enabling_swap_on_debian_based_system

the edit…
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet zswap.enabled=1 zswap.compressor=lz4 zswap.zpool=z3fold”

Well going through the article, it seems the idea of ZSWAP is good.
Having it on HDDs will have no effect on the drive itself, but as far as SSDs are in concern, they have limited write/read. Also, due to the fact that SSDs are cheaper nowadays, that can be ignored.
You can try yourself and see the results.
ZSWAP obviously seems to be faster than SWAPs.

1 Like

It seems to have helped thus far.
I’ve experienced brief lag once or twice but the system recovers shortly after without having to do a complete reboot,prior to the changes,that same lag would have frozen the os completely…

this computer is very limited in it’s capability,so i’m expecting no miracles here,just hoping for as close to normal operation as possible…

i just wish this finding were posted under the appropriate caption rather than the one listed,it seems like it could be helpful for others experiencing similar issues…

1 Like

some more Additional Information about Zswap
zswap – enable – the write back compressed RAM of your swap

1 Like

Okay,so the issue seems to be persisting.
i just updated ParrotOS,so,i may need to check if the update wiped out the prior changes made with Zswap…?

But,maybe you guys could help me understand something about the version of firefox preinstalled with parrot os.
what modifications are being made to this version that makes it different from a manual firefox install,is it just the privacy settings and addons,or more mods being made?
also,what other open source browser would you suggest that i could try which emphasizes privacy besides TOR?
I’d like to see if the issue persist with a different browser…?

Well,i removed the parrot installed version of fire fox and reinstalled the standard version,it hasn’t stalled yet…
i guess i took the long route and learned a few things along the way,so it had other benefits…

i’ve added the addons included in the parrot version,but besides that,i would like to know what other modifications were made,that way i can narrow down what was causing the conflict and causing the entire system to freeze…?

if anyone sees this,and can point me in the right direction,it would be greatly appreciated…

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.