No Ethernet Detected During Install

During install, I am getting the message that no ethernet card is detected. However, when I am in live parrot mode i typed ifconig. I was able to see that I do in fact have an ethernet showing as

4a:64:66:96:88:fa txqueuden 1000

There is no option for this on the drop down menu during install to choose this driver.
What can I do next?

What version of Parrot are you running? Parrot Security 4.5

What method did you use to install Parrot? I’m using Linux Mint and switching to Parrot
Configured to multiboot with other systems? no

If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

Please fill out the chart instead of ignoring it as we need it to begin helping you

1 Like

My apologies, I have now edited OP

Thank you
I dont think you can dualboot parrot on macs after 2013… did you look to see if this was supported hardware?

1 Like

I never had this issue installing Mint. I’m wondering why my Ethernet isn’t detected while trying to install Parrot.

So I did updates from ubuntu. Then I installed wajig
sudo apt-get install wajig

Then I did the command: wajig dailyupgrade

This installed alot that ubuntu didn’t. It updated mesa-va-drivers:amd64.
Also added a new Boot entry to EFI

I will try again with these updates and let everyone know how it goes.

I am not using a Mac. I am using an Hp Laptop.

It would be great if I could copy/paste from the terminal in Parrot while I’m in live mode, but I dont have internet connection.

if you use lspci command, you can see your network hardware information. For example, mine is:

07:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Limited BCM43142 802.11b/g/n (rev 01)
09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 07)

So my ethernet device is RTL8186, i just need install realtek firmware package (actually it was supported by default from Linux kernel. Can you tell us your network device information please?

My Ethernet driver is RealTek5222A.
So i found out that RealTek has known of these faulty drivers since 2013! It’s now 2019 and they continue to write these.
This is a post that makes the most sense to me and relates to what the issue is on my driver. https://abhinavgupta2812.wordpress.com/2014/01/28/getting-a-realtek-sd-card-reader-to-work-on-linux-tried-and-tested-on-debian/

01:00 line for me says “unassigned” which is Ethernet Controller or VGA for some poeple.
on the link, his 04:00 says “unassigned” which is his sd card. His ethernet controller just so happened to be affected as well.

My kernels for driver and module for 01:00 (ethernet) are rtsx_pci. The same as the guy’s post. Although he installed the new driver, it didnt work for him. I also had this same problem.
So then he goes to mention that when he found although he downloaded new kernels, he discovered he was STILL running rtsx_pci kernels.

Then next steps that he had to do was remove those manually.

But you want to know what the easiest solution would be for Dell and Hp people (because seems they are affected by this the most), IS FOR REALTEK TO STOP MAKING THESE DRIVERS.

This has been so frustrating!

So don’t configure network
During install , after install you also able

1 Like

ok i was wondering this! I will be able to fix this during live mode?

can you show us your full line of lscpi output, realtek part please?

lspci -v -s 01:00.0

01:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device RTS522A PCI Ecpress Card Reader (rev 01)

Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company RTS522A PCI Express Card Reader.
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
Memory at b1100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
Capabilities: access denied
Kernel driver in use: rtsx_pci
Kernel modules: rtsx_pci

You were right. I will need to compile kernels on my own. :frowning: