No GUI parrotOS Starting just in terminal

Hello, i have an dualboot Laptop with parrotOS ans windows11 today i logged into parrotOS and everything was fine until i gor an error message about xdb or smth like that couldnt found so i opened a terminal and deleted it after that almost everything of my os got deleted i couldnt open and Programms like Terminal or firefox and much programms got deleted after that i rebooted and then the GUI to login wasnt there just a Form in console type to login After that i only see a console where i can execute commands. I tried alredy startx but i get an error that x couldnt be found.

My parrotOS Version is the latest.
I dont own an usb Drive and the Laptop has no cd Drive.

Is there anyway that i can Install parrotOS new from the console i get After Login? Its a normal terminal where almost all commands works. Sry for the Bad english

• *ParrotOS latest

• **Application used for flashing the iso : usb pen from an Friend…didnt have it anymore.

1 Like

I also face the same problem. Installing the latest home edition, but only able to boot to terminal without any gui. What I noticed is when it was still showing parrot logo and pressing F11, user login management is failed to start. Hope anyone knowledgeable enough will help.

I can report the same issue after i installed the Home Edition: Only terminal, no GUI and no internet connection. I installed via VMware on a MacBookPro, not bare metal.

In addition, there seems to be an issue with the generated Swapfile (see screenshot)

All info and update is in here

Hello everyone!

the GUI issue has just been fixed. We are rebuilding the ISOs. A little more patience and you will see the updated 5.2.

For all those who are having problems with the security edition, edit /etc/fstab as root user and replace space_cache with space_cache=v2

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience.

1 Like

i got the same problem “i cant enter my desktop” but i can fix it with this command:

$ mount -o remount,rw /dev/sdX / (for me : mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda6 /)

and it will enter the desktop after that open your terminal and edit the fstab using nano with sudo

$ sudo nano /etc/fstab

replace “space_cache” with “space_cache=v2” and save it, after that u need to reboot ur pc

$ sudo reboot

hope it will work for u.

1 Like

Good afternoon,
If you don’t mind me asking, what is this value sdaX? and where do I find this value of x?
if I input this mount -o /dev/sdX I get a response already mounted and don’t get the desktop

the fstab cannot be edited from this none-desktop environment.

And the last question: in the fstab file the are two ’ values’ space_cache’ edit both of them?

Kindest regards

Bertus ten Hoor
Netherlands

yeah u need to edit both of them

the X is the partition number you have installed parrot on

ok thank you too. fstab cannot be edited in this terminal, what is the solution to that? the ’ mount …’ command as depicted in a former post doesn’t open the GUI desktop, so it seems like I won’t be able to edit fstab?

When will the new ISO be published (approx)?

Kindest regards!

I had the same issue. I just downloaded and burned the ISO again (torrent). Problem solved.
After installation, I didn’t reboot. And check fstab. space_cache=v2 was written.

1 Like

YES! the Torrent version seems to be different… it works perfectly, thanks!!!

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.