No network access

Briefly describe your issue below:

I was not able to access the internet, I was connected to wifi. anonsurf would not keep running. I did some reading and followed some instructions to modify my resolv.conf file. I think I really messed it up now.

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version (e.g. 4.6), edition(e.g. Home//KDE/OVA, etc.), and architecture (currently we only support amd64)

I installed 4.7 x64 in a dual boot with windows 10 on a Thinkpad T440p
Kernel Linux 5.2.0-2parrot1-amd64

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)

Debian Standard, I think

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)

yes, win 10

List your networking hardware (make, model, firmware version):

intel wireless 7260 rev 83

I couldn’t figure out how to get the firmware version

If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

First before we go any further, issue this command (it will not harm your system further):

sudo anonsurf stop

Now open a new browser. Try to connect to a website. Does this fail? What message does the browser give?

If you are still having problems…

A few questions to get started:

What does your /etc/resolv.conf look like right now?

Also: Are you able to ping a domain like google.com?

What are your network problems such as can you ping a valid ip address? Can you connect to a webserver by ip address?

Did you reboot without stopping Anonsurf? (sometimes ppl retain settings from anonsurf without meeting the requirements to use them).

After running the command it did a bunch of stuff and at the end it said failed to start dnsmasq.service unit dnsmasq.service not found
failed to start nscd.service again because not found.

I was not able to open a web page

If I try to ping anything external it says Temporary failure in name resolution

If I try to ping my router it says Network is unreachable

Wifi shows me as connected but ifconfig does not show that I’m pulling an ip address.

The resolv.conf file shows
nameserver 209.18.47.63
nameserver 209.18.47.62
nameserver 127.0.0.1

I can ping the 127.0.0.1 so I’m guessing that’s some localhost thing but I’m out of my scope here

So you are not obtaining an ip address from router? You also cannot ping your router (192.168.1.1 in many cases)?

I am not famiiar with your system so please send output of :

sudo iptables --list

Also:

ifconfig

I’m sorry, the best way I could figure to get the info was take a picture
IMG_20200302_034739269 IMG_20200302_034753660

I put a usb wifi adaptor in and connected it to the wifi and it pulled an ip address and I have internet access with it so it definitely some with the Thinkpad network adaptor. Can I uninstall and reinstall it like you would do with windows if you had a problem?

unfortunately Intel wireless do not have the best Linux compatability.

Yes you can try updating the driver/reinstalling.

Sometimes, depending, the kernel version can make a difference. If you continue to have problems try an older kernel with the driver. Sometimes newer ones aren’t as compatible.

Your never going to believe this. I ran sudo parrot-upgrade rebooted and now its working

1 Like

Glad to hear you got everything working. Welcome to the forums! :slight_smile: