Notes applications wont launch

I’ve been attempting to install notes applications,(having had uninstalled those preinstalled with the OS),and for whatever reason,none of them will launch…
seems a bit strange,but i’m not sure i would call it a bug…?
i’m not sure how many others just use the preinstalled application,and never try another…?

I’ve tried simplenotes,boostnotes,and few others.
I’ve attempted deb.,and terminal installations,and still,no luck…
any ideas what may be causing this?

Briefly describe your issue below:

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version (e.g. 4.6), edition(e.g. Home//KDE/OVA, etc.), and architecture (currently we only support amd64)

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)

If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

Launch it in terminal and see what messages you get, but It may be an issue with some Electron Apps, and user namespace.

Try this:

sudo sysctl kernel.unprivileged_userns_clone=1

and then see if the application opens

1 Like

When launching from the terminal,this is what i get…?

simplenote: error while loading shared libraries: libXtst.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

what’s weird,is that it does that with any application that i try,which leads me to believe that it may be something system based…

Seems to be missing dependencies.

I’d first try

sudo parrot-upgrade
or
sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y

In my machine I have libxtst.so installed here: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXtst.so.6

You can check to see if you have it installed by using filemanager, terminal, searching or going to the folder above, or

sudo apt list --installed | grep -i libXtst

If its missing you can install it by going to the synaptics package manager and search libxtst, or

sudo apt install libxtst6

1 Like

libxtst6 is already the newest version (2:1.2.3-1).

one more question, how did you install simplenote, as a deb package, or appimage?
Make sure your using the right one, amd64, versus arm. The appimage will be self contained, which should alleviate dependency issues.

Using the appimage might get you up and running, but doesn’t really answer your issue, but seems that simplenote is looking for libxtst at a different location, maybe this could be fixed with a symbolic link.

Take a look here in the post about shared libraries and ldconfig, I’m not well versed in this command.

Not sure what else to try.

The latest simplenote releases from their github are here:

1 Like

That makes sense,i believe simplenote application was preinstalled when i downloaded the OS…
i removed it to clear space initially,but have been trying to install as of recently…

side note,pun intended…
i was able to get it working via snap package…
i don’t remember installing that way before,but it’s possible that i did earlier on.

update…
it launched on the first attempt after a reboot and crashes upon every other attempt…?
i’ll keep working on it,but if you get any ideas feel freep to drop them here…
thank you!

See if this works, if this fixes the problem, great, but doesn’t make any permanent change, ie when you reboot, you would have to run the command again. This would confirm my initial post, and their is a way to permanently fix this.

1 Like

It appears to be working at the moment,I’ll check again at the next reboot to confirm whether or not it persist.

It’s hard for me to tell whether or not the line you had me enter did the trick,but its still working.
you mentioned that their was a permanent fix to do afterwards is why i say that.

either way,the assistance is appreciated…

Sorry ,but i wouldn’t recommend

why?

:star: Unprivileged user namespaces are extremely dangerous. Check out oss-sec or look for recent privesc CVEs and see how many of them are either only exploitable with unprivileged user namespaces, or are easier to exploit.

^as per : linux - What does enabling kernel.unprivileged_userns_clone do? - Information Security Stack Exchange

Yes, @I_Have_Treasure is right, and I wouldn’t do the permanent fix I mentioned.

So if you don’t need to change the user namespace then don’t, I just don’t know of any other way to fix it. Its not a Parrot problem, I think this stems from the Electron version.

You can try by just rebooting your computer, if Simplenotes opens, then great.

Better yet run it in terminal, and see what message you get. If simplenotes doesn’t have the issue I spell out below, then no worries about using the command I mentioned to you.

Brave browser used to have this problem before the Devs fixed, it and you had to run it with --nosandbox flag, or change the usernamespace privilege. Which are both bad for security. This is fixed now.

Heres some examples, Bitwarden used to have fail to open and this is what would spit out in the terminal.

[24472:0925/101718.782996:FATAL:setuid_sandbox_host.cc(157)] The SUID sandbox helper binary was found, but is not configured correctly. Rather than run without sandboxing I’m aborting now. You need to make sure that /opt/Bitwarden/chrome-sandbox is owned by root and has mode 4755.
Trace/breakpoint trap

So in this case, this is easily fixed, just go to /opt/Bitwarden/chrome-sandbox, and do chown root:root, chmod 4755, just like it tells you. No need to change usernsamespace, or remove sandboxing, etc.

On the other hand, here is the error I’d get with standard notes app,

25151:1030/145556.481446:FATAL:setuid_sandbox_host.cc(157)] The SUID sandbox helper binary was found, but is not configured correctly. Rather than run without sandboxing I’m abor
ting now. You need to make sure that /tmp/.mount_standaB0Q8ee/chrome-sandbox is owned by root and has mode 4755.
Trace/breakpoint trap

You can’t go and chown/chmod it because it opens in a tmp folder that doesn’t exist anymore. So until the Devs fix this, If I want to run this program, I still end up having to change and run unprivileged usernamespace, and I do that with the command I mentioned.

If anyone has another way to get around this, I don’t know of any myself. Its either do that or find an alternative app.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks to you bot for responding in such a concerned and detailed manner,it’s appreciated.
right now,it’s functioning normally…
i’m assuming installing through snap played a part,along with a reboot,which i find is pretty typical with snap packages,at least for me…
it’s possible that i installed via snap early on when first switching over from windows and looking for a simple way to install apps,so that could have created a conflict,as you eluded to above…

now it’s on to to the more serious issues and trying to figure out the bizarre networking issue that i’m having,along with trying to get anonsurf working as a secondary issue.
for me,i believe the networking issue i’m having is potentially causing a problem for anonsurf,but i wont know for sure until i can resolve one or the other…
if either of you are familiar with troubleshooting the networking side of the OS,feel free to take a look at the networking post i’ve submitted once it’s been approved by an admin…

Thanks Again!

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.