nvidia-driver broken after kernel update

Briefly describe your issue below:
After the update to kernel 5.1.0-parrot1-3t-amd64, dkms can’t build the nvidia-driver modules for the kernel. Henceforth I can’t boot into the GUI

What version of Parrot are you running?
Parrot Security 4.6 amd64, Kernel 5.1.0-parrot1-3t-amd64

What method did you use to install Parrot?
Debian Standard

Configured to multiboot with other systems?
yes

If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

Yeah I also have a similar problem. I will let you know when we will find a workaround.

What I got from the dkms log, two kernel header files are missing that are needed for building the module. I tried using the shown commands, but that lead to another Error about a missing Makefile

I just fixed these problems, please wait a little so we will roll an update. If you are interested what was changed, checkout my fork: https://nest.parrotsec.org/h0tw4t3r/nvidia-current-418.56-fork-5.1rc/commit/d46649862f5a4a86392d77f505e8f292d22ee65a

Thanks a lot for your swift help, your fork is very interesting. Do you have an approximate ETA for the update? I’d love to use my system again without having to reinstall

I have actually gone through the full installation and it did not help. I can still load 4.19 and function. I cannot wait to have the update come out.
i7-6700k
32GB ddr4
GTX nividia 1080

My system is having gtx nvidia 960 and my Parrot run well without nvidia-driver package. xserver-xorg-video-nvidia is enough for regular display i guess.

I’ve wrote a quick hack here: kernel update broke broadcom driver - #12 by hotwater

Hmm, i am not sure that it is possible for nvidia to work without it’s own module. Probably it starts somehow, can you check lsmod | grep nvidia if its module is loaded? Because I think that you use integrated card, but not discrete.

Parrot install xserver-xorg-video-all by default, and xserver-xorg-video-nvidia is NVIDIA binary Xorg driver while nvidia-driver is This metapackage depends on the NVIDIA binary driver and libraries. It means my system is display X11 with its Nvidia support.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.