OS 4.7 Pentest Tools Are Not Showing

I am new to Linux and have a sincer desire to learn more. I have played around with Kali and decided to give Parrot a go, mostly because I am curious and like to learn. I am also fed up with Windoz and 10 has pushed me over the edge. Parrot seems more intuitive than Kali. I also want a OS that I can use as my daily driver and learn more about Pentesting so I can be more security conscience, understanding the various vunerbilites. I was bummed when I dug into the OS and discovered the PT tools werent there.
Had a friend install Parrot 4.7 on a Dell E6420 I5 8Gig RAM laptop. I think he installed the Home Version, with a MATE desktop. I am having trouble finding anything that says, ā€œaboutā€ so I can determine exactly what was installed, I can see the version on the boot. I donā€™t know what method of installation was used, Standard or GTK? Nor do I know how to determine this. I will find out from my friend next week that did the install. I will keep playing around with Parrot to learn more about it in the mean time.
I visited the forum and did some research and it says that you can add the PenTest tools later. The OS seems to work fine, other than I donā€™t have an extensive list of tools under the Parrot Tab in the Apps menu. I went into the terminal and entered the ā€˜sudo apt-get install parrot-tools-fullā€™ command and received an error message that said the original install was was broken. I then entered ā€˜sudo - -fix-broken installā€™ and repaired the original install. That fixed the installation.
I then received another error message that said some of the some of the apps needed to be upgraded. I then ran ā€˜sudo apt list - -upgradableā€™ to see them.
I then ran ā€˜sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgradeā€™ to upgrade them.
I then received notifications of the leftover apps and ran the command to delete the apps that were no longer needed. All seemed well. I rebooted and checked, still no pentest tools under the Parrot tabā€¦
I returned to the forum and did some more research, looking for someone else was having the same issue.

Shoaib posted that one should go to the synaptic manager in the search bar and type ā€œparrotā€ and scroll down a check a package named ā€œparrot-tools-fullā€ then apply and they should appear.
I have employeed this tactic and it seems to have been the issue. I have checked the proper box for installing the Pentesting tools and they are now installing. Hopefully this will resolve the issue and the tools will be there once its finished. I will update this post to give a final outcome.
UPDATE
This process proved to be the issue, I will elobrate more in this post as the post I found was somewhat vauge lacking details of what to do and how to find it. Once I went into the Synaptic Packet Manager which can be found at the top of the Parrot OS which is next to Applications-Places-System tabs. Clicking on the System tab brings a dropdown menu, which is where one will find the Admistration tab, clicking on this tab will bring up the Synaptic Packet Manager tab. This is where you can install, remove and upgrade software in Parrot. Once inside the Synaptic Packet Manager you will find a list of all the software for the OS. There is a search in the top right hand corner, typing in the name of what your looking for will help you find it easier than scrolling through all the packets. Putting in ā€œParrotā€ pulled up the packets with this name. There I found the
ā€œParrot-Tools-Fullā€ packet, which contains the ā€œMetapackage that installs the FULL penitration testing enviormentā€. Once you check the box it will begin to install the packets. Intially you will be asked some questions regarding some of the details concerning some of the packets and how to configure them. Once these questions are answered it will scroll to the next packet and so on, until it begins to move past the packets that do not require your input, at this point the rest of the packets will self install. You will need to answer the intial set up questions and once past that you can walk away and the rest is automated. The list of PT tools is exstensive so it is a pretty big install and will take some time. I went to bed and came back in the morning and checked under the Applications tab dropdown menu, Parrot Tab and vola an extensive list of goodies to keep me busy for years! That about covers in detail my experiance with getting the PT tools installed in my OS. I hope this helps future Newbies like myself work through this issue if they installed Parrot Home and want to update to the Security version at a later date.
I appreciate this forum and all the information that has been provided to help a Linux newbie like myself. For other newbies I can only suggest that persistance, pays off, keep researching and ask questions, only after you have made the effort to research and resolve the issue, its the only way to learn. Sometimes sleeping on it and trying again fresh on another day can also make a diffrence. I am simply sharing my experiance in hopes that it helps others with the same issue.

2 Likes

do sudo apt update && sudo apt install parrot-tools-full and youā€™ll get pentest tools
The broken packages means there are conflict packages

1 Like

Thanks! dmknight, appreciate the feedback , and your taking the time to try and help me.
This is what I found that worked for my issueā€¦You probably are already aware of this, so please donā€™t take this as an insultā€¦ I am simply cutting and pasting my UPDATE into your reply to make it easier for future referal for those who may run into the same issue as I had. I did not try your suggestion as I was already in the SPM, working through this solution when I saw your reply to my post. If that did not work I would try your suggestion next, again thank you for your reply!
SOLUTION- It would seem that if the box is not checked, in the Synaptic Package Manager, (SPM), next to the packet you want to have appear in the OS, then it doesnt appear in the Applications drop down menu.under the Parrot tab. Maybe your method would have been easier, I didnt get to try it so I am not sure, at any rate, problem is solved, now on to the next issueā€¦
CUBES OS not installing on a seperate swapable HD on same laptopā€¦ not running it in the Parrot OS, but as a stand alone OSā€¦ It seems that as I was researching my PT issue that I ran across someone installing CUBES into Parrotā€¦That intrests me if you, or anyone elseā€¦have any experiance thereā€¦
I have various Linux Distros that I am playing with and working through so I can both learn and pick what I will use long term. I chose the DELL E6420 because I can get them cheap, (used from the US Govt), and they have swappable Hard Drives and other security features. Using swappable HDs allows me to use various size HDs to fit the needs of the Distro and I can use SSD if needed, all on one machine, without any Bootup issues I have found with running multiple Distros on the same HD. They are also powerfull enough to run most Linux Distros compared to Windoz which grows more power hungry each release.
PENTEST TOOLS SOLUTION- Once I went into the Synaptic Packet Manager (SPM) which can be found at the top of the Parrot OS which is next to Applications-Places-System tabs. Clicking on the System tab brings a dropdown menu, which is where one will find the Admistration tab, clicking on this tab will bring up the Synaptic Packet Manager tab. This is where you can install, remove and upgrade software in Parrot. Once inside the Synaptic Packet Manager you will find a list of all the software for the OS. There is a search in the top right hand corner, typing in the name of what your looking for will help you find it easier than scrolling through all the packets. Putting in ā€œParrotā€ pulled up the packets with this name. There I found the
ā€œParrot-Tools-Fullā€ packet, which contains the ā€œMetapackage that installs the FULL penitration testing enviormentā€. Once you check the box it will begin to install the packets. Intially you will be asked some questions regarding some of the details concerning some of the packets and how to configure them. Once these questions are answered it will scroll to the next packet and so on, until it begins to move past the packets that do not require your input, at this point the rest of the packets will self install. You will need to answer the intial set up questions and once past that you can walk away and the rest is automated. The list of PT tools is exstensive so it is a pretty big install and will take some time. I went to bed and came back in the morning and checked under the Applications tab dropdown menu, Parrot Tab and vola an extensive list of goodies to keep me busy for years! That about covers in detail my experiance with getting the PT tools installed in my OS. I hope this helps future Newbies like myself work through this issue if they installed Parrot Home and want to update to the Security version at a later date.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.