OS freezing, general uncompatibility

Briefly describe your issue below:

I just discovered Parrot Sec OS and immediately fell in love with it. However, I’m having some trouble with compatibility and freezing, both on shutdown/reboot commands and just basic usage (within a few minutes of booting). Some of the specific issues I’m having are commands freezing up in the terminal (although I can usually close out of the window just fine) and programs like chromium, text editors, etc. starting to open in the taskbar and then force quitting before ever actually opening a window. Any help would be much appreciated! Please let me know what other information you need from me to help me troubleshoot these issues.

Here is a pastebin link to my lspci & dmesg commands for starters:
https://pastebin.com/rCi7dD03

–Skunkfoot

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version, edition, and architecture)
$uname-a
Linux parrot 4.16.0-parrot12-amd64 #1 SMP Parrot 4.16.12-1parrot12.1 (2018-05-28) x86_64 GNU/Linux

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)
Debian Standard

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)
Yes, Windows 10 and Linux Mint.

If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

you have an old version of parrot, make sure to dist-upgrade it.

and if you are logging in as root with the whole desktop environment, please stop doing it.

Thanks for the quick reply. dist-upgrade was actually the 3rd command I ran after installation finished, right after the update and upgrades finished. Just in case, I tried running it again just now, and nothing upgrades. Also, I just downloaded the iso from their website yesterday. Is there a newer version hosted somewhere else that I’m missing or something? Wikipedia lists the most recent stable release as Parrot 4.1 (4 Jun 18), although I know that could be inaccurate.

And I almost never login as root, there’s very rarely a reason to for me. :slight_smile:

Thanks for taking the time to out of your day to help me solve my issue, I really appreciate the help.

–Skunkfoot

we are releasing updated beta images here Parrot 4.2 beta testers program

1 Like