OS Imaging App for Parrot?

I’m a total Linux Noob - first time trying anything Linux. This is day 3. I was able to easily install Parrot Home 4.1, as well as VirtualBox and Whonix, and to get them all running. I’m trying a lot of different things, and I expect things to break. I would like find a an App that will work on Parrot similar to Windows “Create a System Image” or Windows Macrium Reflect, so that if I make a mistake, I can reinstall a well configured Parrot “image” rather than start a fresh installation. I’ve found backup apps like TimeShift, but I would prefer an app that creates images that can be reinstalled, not a backup app. I am aware of CloneZilla, but I would like to not clone the drive (takes too much storage space), but I would rather create an image.

Is there such an App that can be used with Parrot? If so, what is it, and how do I get started in setting it up?

If there is not such an App, what is your recommended Backup App? TimeShift? Something else?

Thank you:)

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version, edition, and architecture) 4.1 Home, 64bit

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental) Debian Standard

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no). No

If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

1 Like

Virtually any linux backup tool will work with parrot. Most of us share a unix filesystem.

TimeShift would be good as it only backs up system information. Excluding /home directory (unless you tell it otherwise) but if you want an image you can boot i dont think it will work.

You could probably use linux live: https://www.linux-live.org/

Clonezilla can be used to create an image: https://clonezilla.org/show-live-doc-content.php?topic=clonezilla-live/doc/01_Save_disk_image

If you feel a more manual approach you could use ‘dd’: https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/unix-linux-dd-create-make-disk-image-commands/

I thinks most people would recommend Clonezilla, a lot of people use it and there are lots of tutorials online if you are unsure.

Thanks for the tip re Clonezilla.

I created both a Clonezilla DVD and the USB version. Each time I boot into either the Clonezilla DVD or the USB, and then finish, and exit, after that I am not able to boot into Parrot from the hard disk. My only option is to reinstall Parrot OS from scratch.

Can anyone tell me what to do so that I can boot into Parrot after booting into Clonezilla? Thanks

As in you make a backup using clonezilla then reboot. But grub doesnt load? or parrot doesnt show up in grub? or parrot wont boot from grub?

Here is what happens: I either make a backup, or I just go into Clonezilla and then exit without doing anything. It happens for both. Then, upon rebooting, Dell’s (XPS 15 9550) hardware checking utility is what comes up and then it starts checking hardware. Grub2 does not load. Rebooting from that state still brings up Dell’s hardware checking utility, again, and again,… and so on. If I go into the BIOS, Settings–General–Boot Sequence, I no longer see the SSD that has Parrot on it. When Clonezilla has not yet been used, in the BIOS, Settings–General–Boot Sequence shows one drive with the name “Parrot”.

I don’t know what Clonezilla is doing to cause the Parrot SSD to no longer be recognized upon boot.

Thats odd i would guess its messing up grub. Maybe try booting the parrot iso and either installing grub back onto the drive off of that, or boot a live session and mount the drive and update grub from there.

All i can suggest really. Never heard of Clonezilla doing that.