Parrot 4.0 development discussions

as in live, to get root use sudo su or sudo -i
As root: passwd root to adjust the root password.

I dont know installer why skip this step :thinking:

(dmknght) #43

Shorter steps. Users wouldn’t need root’s cred because normal accounts can use sudo (sorry for my bad English). But the problem is common users can skip changing root password.

(Lorenzo "Palinuro" Faletra) #44

join the beta testers program and download the latest beta release

(Kevin) #45

Can we add our own Repo’s in this version? Just curious before i format my Ubuntu testing partition…
I add repos to Kali all the time but I love parrot OS way more, but the repo thing is make or break sadly.

(D R) #46

The 4.0.1 Security edition appears to have wide open ports (samba, of all things…) in live boot:

Also, it clearly identifies the machine as PARROT, which I would imagine to be a problem for the pentesting crowd. :slight_smile:

(cycox) #47

Light display manager fails to start after successful installation of parrot 4.0.1 os

I have tried all things but no luck yet ,could you please guide me how can i fix this things
i like parrot os, this is first time i facing problem ,i did fresh installation.
I couldnt found this solution after spending long search so please help.

Why someone from project did’t write some CHANGES from 3.1.1 to everyone knows WHATS NEW in Parrot 4 ?? After I try installation I only then found out that there’s no need to create root password?! What are next surprsises? Is it better for now to stay with old 3.1? It’s like in alpha stage…

My computer, designated as “Parrot”, showed up in the “sharing section” of a friend’s Apple Mac Airbook, when using Parrot Home 3.11 in a Live installation connected to public WiFi. Thankfully, encrypted persistence stored passwords for all accounts, including Root.

Unfortunately, Parrot 4.0.1 will only store my added account password, but not the passwords for either Debian Live User, or for Root, in the Encrypted Persistence settings.

WORK-AROUND -->>

1. Store settings with all networking disabled when powering off an Encrypted Persistence session. Then, when booted up into the Debian Live User account from “Encrypted Persistence” (Grub), immediately set the Root password in a terminal (sudo passwd) (your typing will not show up on screen. Hit enter to retype your password for confirmation).
  2. Next, close the terminal and open System -->> Preferences -->> Administration -->> Users and Groups. Go into the Debian Live User Account and reset its default password.
  3. Next, log out of the Debian Live User account into your customized (added) user account (which should have very limited permissions, thus necessitating entering the Root password in order to access any sensitive system areas or functions). All the settings and the password for this account should be exactly as they were stored before powering off in the last Encrypted Persistence session.
  4. Now you’re ready to enable networking and connect to public WiFi.

Personally, for added security, I use either the Tails distro of Debian, or the same Parrot distro as my host OS, in a Virtual Machine, inside my customized user account. However, if you do this, be sure to start the Tor Daemon in your host OS (sudo service tor start, sudo service tor reload / force-reload). Even though you’re using Tor in your VM, that OS will not cloak your MAC address from being leaked by you host OS. See my comment of 03-22-18 in the topic titled, “VM software on Parrot OS”. See also, my 03-13-18 comment in the topic titled, “Can Parrot replace Tails?”. Even if you run an OS other than Tails in your VM, see my topic posted from 01-30-18 titled, “Running Tails in a VM inside Parrot 3.11

(D R) #50

Hi, yes, this is the exact same problem that I’ve posted, just better described from a different perspective. :slight_smile: I also opened an issue at https://dev.parrotsec.org/parrot/parrot-build/issues/7 , with a possible suggestion of why this might be happening.

The fix is probably not hard (file contents need to be copied to two other places, “normal” and “live”), I’d even submit a patch if my earlier, much simpler patches would get any reaction (be that accept or reject, but at least some discussion).

I can’t see how it is best to contribute to Parrot in effect – so far I tried telegram, sending patches, submitting bug report, write to this forum, all to not much effect… :sleepy:

Thankfully, in ver. 4.0.1, they fixed the failure of Anonsurf to restart Tor circuits during a Live installation session. I encouraged this even though Anonsurf would, evidently, restart when Parrot was fully installed on a hard disk. Your post should get some attention for the same reason; it’s a major security concern/priority for stealth users operating under repressive regimes. It can mean either harassment or other retribution, jailing without charges, or even life and death in extreme cases. We all use some form of Live installation, e.g., Tails.

(Meta Hertz) #52

What the fuck is wrong with burpsuite.

(Abdel Rhman Anter) #53

@g0rbe see that

see what? :slight_smile:

(Batch McNulty) #55

Is this the right place to ask to have tools you’ve written included in a distro? Cos… I’ve written a couple of tools, and I’d obviously like them included. Please pardon the intrusion if it’s not welcome!

(Matt) #56

If you look in the FAQ there is a section about requesting new tools and an email to make requests. https://docs.parrotsec.org/doku.php/faq#why-isn-t-toolname-installed

(Batch McNulty) #57

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Hey,
In parrot 4.1 root privilige is disabled.
only user account can be created. In this case why some tools like wireshark and other tools aren’t listed in applications menu by default? (I know we could edit parrot menu)
By adding some root only applications in menu, that could be accessible for everyone.
I hope dev’s will consider it.
thank you

(Matt) #59

You should be able to see them. Are you sure wireshark is installed? dpkg -l wireshark

Here is the terminal output:

and I’m enclosing edit menu pic here.
Screenshot%20at%202018-06-21%2018-56-30

once it was disabled for user account and enabled for root users. but since parrot didn’t let us login as root it should be added by default for user account.
It’s just an suggestion. if there is any reason behind it, please let me know.
thank you.

also one more request,
once we could edit our system host name while installing.
now it’s also gone. since host name is parrot… people could easily identify this system while pentesting.