Parrot 4.6 beta testers program

Testers! It’s that time again!

Parrot 4.6 is almost ready, and we need testers!

What are we looking for?

Please report to us what works and what needs to be fixed before the final release.

This is not the proper place where to post your ideas and tips. Use the Parrot 4.6 Development Discussions topic to discuss opinions and ideas.

For the beta testers:

Download zone

ParrotOS 4.6
System Requirements
(All images are 64-bit)

Things that need to be tested

Parrot Home live
Parrot Security live
Parrot Home KDE live
Parrot Netinstall

All of the images in both standard and uncommon configurations (except of course, don’t report configurations errors that are not meant to work on Debian).

How to report bugs

Please write up a report (an example has been posted below) that lists the result of all your tests, and reports both working and broken apps or entities, and end with suggestions on how to solve issues (if a solution is known by the tester).

Please ensure your bug is reproducible, if not please have your logs available.

Please post your report as a comment to this topic.

If there is a problem which merits a confidential report, you may email your report to palinuro AT parrotsec DOT org or team AT parrotsec DOT org, but we strongly prefer comments to be public.

For Firejail errors please use firejail’s extensive debugging suite (see firejail’s manpage or their docs for more info)

Please check your logs and post them with your report, if you can, for the errors

What a beta tester should not do

Parrot OS is not a piece of software, it is a whole operating system. An operating system, by definition, is a collection of many many system components and completely independent programs that we don’t develop.

We don’t want the individual parrot programs to be extensively audited, we need our beta testers to use the system in real life scenarios and spot usability issues, crashes and unexpected behaviors (though if you are interested in doing so please send @s1udge a PM).

Reports released after the final stable release may not be taken in consideration, but if you spot something important, we may decide to schedule a new emergency release that addresses critical bugs. We consider these cases as exceptions, as latecomers are usually ignored.

If a ParrotOS bug is caused by a bug from software which is not maintained by Parrot Developers, that bug should be reported to the appropriate program developers, and not to Parrot Developers (i.e. firefox, MATE or libreoffice).

Brief comments are not full reports. Please do not comment to this topic if you don’t have a complete report. So please, help us keep this topic as clean as possible. To discuss bugs and issues specific to the beta testing please discuss at ParrotOS 4.6 QA/Testing Discussion.

Tests done on older versions of the system make no sense for us, as the purpose of this beta testing program is to spot issues on the ISO files for Parrot 4.6 that the Parrot Team proposes during the beta testing phase.

4 Likes

here my personal report:

i tested the security iso, RC2 version.

no internet connection

internet does not work because the /etc/resolv.conf file is not a symlink to /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf or /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf as it is supposed to be.
using the sudo anonsurf stop command triggers the /etc/resolv.conf restore function, and internet starts working again

a possible solution is to make sure that /etc/resolv.conf is a proper symlink to the resolvconf service file.

i am working to fix it in RC3 or RC4

metasploit not working

metasploit console throws an error because bundler can’t reach its rubygems.

metasploit should be patched to provide a proper GEM_PATH env variable.

tor does not start properly

something is preventing tor daemon to start properly, probably the apparmor profile, but i have to further investigate it later. could someone please help me?

bettercap service running by default

newer versions of bettercap introduced a daemon that opens network ports at boot, it should be disabled by default and launched on demand when using bettercap.

i made a patch to the bettercap package which should not autostart at boot with next RC releases

libreoffice does not start

libreoffice can’t be started in live mode, probably because of apparmor

a dedicated boot instruction used to disable apparmor in live mode, leaving it enabled only on installed systems, we should introduce it again on parrot 4.6

firejail not enabled for some apps

some apps seem to not have their firejail launcher properly configured as if firecfg was not executed properly even if it is hardcoded in both apt and live-build hooks

3 Likes

Hey bro, @palinuro Parrot Security RC3 still has the problem of no internet connection, fix it as soon as possible.

Hope that RC4 will fix all following problems
Best of luck @palinuro

Problems still in RC3 release:

1. Bluetooth icon has been removed from the top right corner bar
 2. No internet connection
 3. Metasploit (msfconsole) not working properly
 4. Libreoffice not starting sometimes
 5. TOR & Bettercap also needed to be checked again

Suggestion:

Remove previous version of Reaver add the latest modified forked Reaver
 https://github.com/t6x/reaver-wps-fork-t6x

my notes on RC4

internet works

changing build server and building the images on my parrot laptop instead of our ubuntu/debian build servers made live-build configure /etc/resolv.conf properly :thinking:

metasploit works

the fixed version (5.0.14-1parrot1) is now included by default

bettercap does not start by default at boot

which is a positive thing, but we should probably integrate a wrapper that automatically starts it when bettercap is launched

pull requests are welcome!

libreoffice crashes

is it an apparmor bug? probably, i don’t think i have the skills to debug it properly, spot the problem and fix it

could someone please download RC4 and try to figure out what the fuck is happening to libreoffice?

i believe its crash is somehow related to the TOR crash.

firecfg does not create the proper firejail launchers

i have even forced firecfg profiles creation in the build hooks and in the live-config setup script, but with no luck. /usr/local/bin is still empty with no firejail launchers as if firecfg didn’t worked properly when launched in some conditions.

fortunately i think i can handle it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve been testing the LibreOffice issue this morning and here is what I’ve found, if it is any use.

Attemtping to boot with the Live Mode option selected and appending either ‘apparmor=0’ or ‘systemd.mask=apparmor.service’ still results in the LibreOffice not launching.

In addition, attempting to stop or disable the apparmor.service when in the live system, then restarting lightdm.service still results in the following error(s):

Edit #1: I’ve tried running it outside the sandbox, along with disable apparmor.service, still the same error.

Edit #2: Output of ‘sudo dmesg’ immediately after the libreoffice error:

[ 1090.366241] audit: type=1400 audit(1553969238.758:141): apparmor=“ALLOWED” operation=“open” info=“Failed name lookup - disconnected path” error=-13 profile=“libreoffice-soffice” name=“usr/share/drirc.d” pid=5692 comm=“soffice.bin” requested_mask=“r” denied_mask=“r” fsuid=1000 ouid=0
[ 1090.368346] audit: type=1400 audit(1553969238.762:142): apparmor=“ALLOWED” operation=“open” info=“Failed name lookup - disconnected path” error=-13 profile=“libreoffice-soffice” name=“usr/share/drirc.d” pid=5692 comm=“soffice.bin” requested_mask=“r” denied_mask=“r” fsuid=1000 ouid=0
[ 1090.373158] audit: type=1400 audit(1553969238.766:143): apparmor=“ALLOWED” operation=“open” info=“Failed name lookup - disconnected path” error=-13 profile=“libreoffice-soffice” name=“usr/share/drirc.d” pid=5692 comm=“soffice.bin” requested_mask=“r” denied_mask=“r” fsuid=1000 ouid=0
[ 1090.373494] audit: type=1400 audit(1553969238.766:144): apparmor=“ALLOWED” operation=“open” info=“Failed name lookup - disconnected path” error=-13 profile=“libreoffice-soffice” name=“usr/lib/libreoffice/program/services” pid=5691 comm=“soffice.bin” requested_mask=“r” denied_mask=“r” fsuid=1000 ouid=0
[ 1090.373756] audit: type=1400 audit(1553969238.766:145): apparmor=“ALLOWED” operation=“open” info=“Failed name lookup - disconnected path” error=-13 profile=“libreoffice-soffice” name=“usr/share/drirc.d” pid=5692 comm=“soffice.bin” requested_mask=“r” denied_mask=“r” fsuid=1000 ouid=0
[ 1090.388281] audit: type=1400 audit(1553969238.782:146): apparmor=“ALLOWED” operation=“open” info=“Failed name lookup - disconnected path” error=-13 profile=“libreoffice-soffice” name=“usr/share/drirc.d” pid=5692 comm=“soffice.bin” requested_mask=“r” denied_mask=“r” fsuid=1000 ouid=0

Edit #3 Here is a gdb backtrace of soffice / libreoffice. libreoffice_gdbtrace.log (4.7 KB)

1 Like

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: ParrotOS 4.6 QA/Testing Discussion

Well, I just posted a note about libreoffice crashing, it is related to firejail, first I tried to disable Apparmor, but that did nothing, then completely removed firejail and firejail.profiles, tried again and libreoffice starts without problem. have a nice day!
BTW: tested on Parrot 4.6-RC4
and it looks very atractive with its new look!

2 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: ParrotOS 4.6 QA/Testing Discussion

RC10 has Libreoffice crashing with the following error:

Final linking of kernel DynamicKernel failed.

However, executing it from ‘/usr/bin/libreoffice’ works. Also, I installed the 4.5-1 ISO, then updated everything via parrot-upgrade. Libreoffice hangs and locks up the desktop, forcing me to ‘systemctl restart lightdm.service’ do get it back.

rc10 deleted. final ISO fles released!

https://download.parrotsec.org/parrot/iso/4.6

the release is not yet ready, because we need to sign the hashes, build the OVA files, write the changelog and release notes etc, but these ISO files are definitive

5 Likes

@palinuro I got this after install Parrot final release into Virtualbox. pluma worked fine but this msg showed in stdout

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: ParrotOS 4.6 QA/Testing Discussion

For me Libre works as expected when parrot is installed. I did have issues running it from live, but @jasonb179 's solution of firejail --noprofile libreoffice worked.

Also noticed when using standard installer and selecting guided partitioning the swap partition doesn’t get created like in previous versions 4.5.1, 4.5. I use encryption and LVM which worked well, but a new user might be confused and/or not know how to create partitions manually.

ParrotOS 4.6 is out.
Thank you everyone for testing 4.6 and providing your feedback :slight_smile:

you can easily ignore the swap and proceed without it.
maybe we should suppress the missing swap warning, but i have no idea where is it. il’’ work on it soon for parrot 4.7

3 Likes