Parrot 4.7 freeze

Briefly describe your issue below:

New version of Parrot 4.7 doesn’t work on Dell Latitude e7250.
After installation the os is booting properly when it goes to X window I see only mouse pointer and black screen, not able to switch to console and after few sec the parrot is frozen. Same when running via Live option. In the previous ver 4.6 eveyrthing was fine, so probably some drivers related.

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version (e.g. 4.6), edition(e.g. Home//KDE/OVA, etc.), and architecture
(currently we only support amd64)

Parrot-security-4.7 @ mate.

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)

Debian standard

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)

no

List your hardware specs to include make, model and firmware (when applicable):

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Host Bridge -OPI (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 5500 (rev 09)
00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Audio Controller (rev 09)
00:04.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Processor Thermal Subsystem (rev 09)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP USB xHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP MEI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (3) I218-LM (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev e3)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #4 (rev e3)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP USB EHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP LPC Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 RAID bus controller: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile SATA Controller [RAID mode] (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP SMBus Controller (rev 03)
01:00.0 SD Host controller: O2 Micro, Inc. SD/MMC Card Reader Controller (rev 01)
02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7265 (rev 59)

If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

parrot-upgrade or fresh install.?

Fresh install as i wrote above same thing when im trying to boot via livecd.

I see a RAID controller i would check to see if this is properly set up if in use or disabled if not. But basic logic says if was able to work in live mode(it had to to install), so if it worked before and won’t even boot live now what did you do when you installed…

I made a test and I switched the sata controller from Raid mode to AHCI but without any result same thing freeze.

I dont know but it may be helpful on the latest kali which is also running on 5.2 kernel everything works fine and the SD card reader also ( currently sdcard reader doesnt work in 4.6 not sure how about 4.7 coz im not able to run it on my dell )

I have same laptop, you need to add acpi=off to grub in order to get a successful boot. Something got borked with the kernel upgrade to 5.2.0-2

1 Like

Thanks i dont know why i didnt test it before. Now im able to run parrot but its time to get kernel adjusted to my dell.

I compared kernel configs from Parrot vs Kali where everythings works fine and there is no big diff in the config:

< # Compiler: gcc-8 (Debian 8.3.0-19) 8.3.0
< CONFIG_ACER_WIRELESS=m
< CONFIG_LG_LAPTOP=m
< CONFIG_SURFACE3_WMI=m
< CONFIG_INTEL_WMI_THUNDERBOLT=m
< CONFIG_PEAQ_WMI=m
< CONFIG_TOSHIBA_WMI=m
< CONFIG_SURFACE_3_BUTTON=m
< # CONFIG_INTEL_IOMMU_DEFAULT_ON is not set
< CONFIG_INTEL_IOMMU_DEFAULT_ON_INTGPU_OFF=y
< # CONFIG_INTEL_IOMMU_DEFAULT_OFF is not set

vs

> # Compiler: gcc-8 (Debian 8.3.0-6) 8.3.0
> CONFIG_BUILD_SALT="5.2.0-2parrot1-amd64"
> # CONFIG_ACER_WIRELESS is not set
> # CONFIG_LG_LAPTOP is not set
> # CONFIG_SURFACE3_WMI is not set
> # CONFIG_INTEL_WMI_THUNDERBOLT is not set
> # CONFIG_PEAQ_WMI is not set
> # CONFIG_TOSHIBA_WMI is not set
> # CONFIG_SURFACE_3_BUTTON is not set
> CONFIG_INTEL_IOMMU_DEFAULT_ON=y

@rowie do you have more issues like this one and are u planing to make some changes for kernel in 4.7 and release the “fixed” iso version ?

Did you made some changes in kernel to get Parrot works fine with acpi ?

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.