Parrot and QUBES

Hi everybody, using the latest Parrot (4.7 I think, the latest…not near it now).

I have successfully installed Parrot on QUBES. It runs beautifully in a slightly reduced window which is fine, and I can’t really fault it. However: (the following for those familar with QUBES)

I have Parrot running through the whonix gateway in QUBES. I can get it working exactly as I like. But, when I close QUBES down and then come back and restart Parrot I can’t access the internet no matter what I do. The settings are the same, but no matter what I do I can’t get it to reconnect via any gateway in QUBES. I am running QUBES on two Dells (E6530). I actually swapped the hd for one to the other and had a day of it working ok. Turned it off last night and it worked fine when I started it this morning. Turned it off last night, this morning no internet. I have been round this problem, up, down, posted on QUBES forums etc and its sending me mental, so much so that I am probably going to not use Parrot in QUBES.

Any ideas gratefully received.

You don’t need any gateway. Anonsurf does that job
We don’t have enough information to understand your problem. Can you ping google? did you check DNS settings? Did you enable firewall or anything? Did you check the routing rule?

I’m sorry for not supplying that info, I was at work in a hurry.

All of the settings such as DNS, gateway, ip address are all correct. You see I am able to get it working perfectly. It doesn’t matter if its the whonix gate, or the sys-firewall gate, what happens is that when I shut it down and then turn the pc off overnight, when I turn it back I can’t connect to the internet at all. Not able to ping. All settings as I left them. I did not enable any firewall.

I am not sure if it makes a difference whether I shutdown Parrot as I would normally with any distro, or if I leave it running and shut down the qube. Investigating this now. The other thing that I am thinking is each time I’ve got it going I’ve updated and upgraded Parrot each time. I am not sure if there is something in either the update or upgrade (which is big) that may be the culprit.

Yesterday I installed another instance of Parrot. I should also say that it doesn’t matter if Parrot is encrypted or not. This happens with both. It hasn’t been updated. This morning it is working. But I have had it last a couple of days and then stop, so I’ll see.

I know qubes pretty well and I have all other qubes working perfectly. Its just Parrot that does this. Its very disappointing as I really want to get it working.

Well i am very sorry because my comment is gonna be useless: in other cases, the only reason internet doesn’t work is network driver problem. The other reason could be firewall rule but in this situation, i don’t think any of them is the reason. Let me ask other members in the team maybe someone know what is wrong in your system.

Humour me on this one

On both instances of parrot could you open a terminal and type

Sudo anonsurf stop

See if that makes a difference

1 Like

Sure. I’d be delighted to humour you! I will just say that anonsurf has not been activated, I think. This is assuming that it stops on shutdown and it needs to be restarted? Not sure. But I have had both anonsurf and the whonix gate working together. I did do my troubleshooting around this. I still have the non-working Parrot qube there along with another basic install that was working this morning.

After work I’ll start the non-working one up and execute that line and see what happens. I’m thinking that there may be an upgrade that messes with it though. My intention is to use the working one and add things one at a time to it to see if it makes it fall over,

If you activated anonsurf then shut down your computer without issuing anonsurf stop (to reverse the network settings) you may retain partial settings (causing network problems) from previous anonsurf session.

Always remember to issue anonsurf stop before shutting down (unless you run anonsurf as systemd service). Anytime you run a script that makes dramatic network changes you have to remember to reverse those changes so they do not carry over into your next boot.

So, as @PTD suggested issue:

sudo anonsurf stop

to reverse possible carried over settings from your anonsurf session. Let us know if this fixes the problem.

Well, I’ve humoured you. Bugger me! You nailed it!

I immediately got internet connection back when I did this. I’ve never paid much attention when anonsurf is stopped, but the line “Iptables rules restored” sounds like a culprit. But I can say that it is intermittent as I have run anonsurf with the whonix gate but not for long.

But I’ve mucked around with this now for the last 30 minutes and the system is doing EXACTLY as it should. So @birdlover is correct as well. Shutting down doesn’t stop anonsurf, it is there on restart.

I cant thank you enough for your interest and help. This has driven me mad for more than a week. But with most things Linux, persistence and community gets you there most of the time.

So I have a choice now. Anonsurf, or send it via whonix as anonsurf is obviously fine via the default firewall in qubes. I’m assuming that there would be little difference here?

1 Like

Hello!

Because the address is Parrot and Qubes, i didn’t want to make another topic related to QubesOS.

I’m started to make a template in QubesOS for Parrot, but there are some problems i’ve encountered:

1. i’m in the process attempting an update on the new TemplateVM, but the given command “sudo cat «EOF >…” is returning back with permission denied. I could make it work with “sudo su” before the “cat” command, but is there anything i’ve made wrong? Followed all the steps written on https://docs.parrotlinux.org/getting-started/install-qubes/

2. After added the sources with root access, I’ve run the “sudo apt update” command, and the “sudo apt full-upgrade” command. When trying to run the “sudo apt autemove” coomand i get an error when trying to remove qubes-core-agent-passwordless-root, and there is some dpkg errors too. Could you help me how could i run the command to leave qubes packages untouched?

3. Same problem like in the 2. when trying to install parrot-core, parrot-archive-keyring, parrot-drivers and parrot-skel.

There is a note in the description saying: " During execution of a full-upgrade command read carefully list of packages to be removed. If it contains qubes- packages, terminate operation and try to resolve qubes- packages missing dependencies first.", but i don’t really understand it. Forgive my ignorance, hope someone can help me out!

Thanks any help you can provide!

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.