parrot-menu and new metasploit-framework collide

Second time Parrots own update script just kills my system, today it
s a collision between parrot-menu and metasploit-framework.

How hard can it be to not F*up a system like that? Will this /usr/bin/msfstart be moved to one of the package and not both?

Can I safely force install the new metasploit-framework without messing up something else now? Or will there be a new metasploit-framework or parrot-menu package that will fix this?

Are you here for some support or just to complain?

Not complain but a solution to the colliding packages.
Is this solvable bu forcing metasploit-framework over the old files or do we have to wait for Parrot to fix this?

If you didn’t complain, then why i don’t see any thing of the bug like i updated system, i got this error during installation of metasploit?

The error is fixed and we are pushing the hotfix

I can confirm that it’s working

Thanks and sorry if I sounded rude, was just tired of reinstalling again :wink:

A slight sideffect that I have not investigated is that armitage can’t be started from the menu anymore. If started from a shell it starts as it should.

I’m fixing it

The problem of armitage is fixed. Parrot menu is moving launchers from this package to acutal packages that should contain launchers so it reduce size and complexity of parrot-menu. The only problem could have is any mistake of maintainers of syncing updates for packages.
Now i’m waiting Palinuro to update all packages that i made changes

I also noted that Metasploit Framework tries to find mfsconsole-start that is no longer in the system. Mybe that is fixed with latest fixes but you can still start it by using msfconsole so no biggie there.

I’ve just checked the launcher and the package and everything is fine. The only problem is syncing the changes of multiple packages at 1 and Palinuro can’t do it right now.

Ok, then I wait.

More things, are there any update to XlsxWriter to latest? Right now shodan throws an uggly error message every time it’s running.

Temp fix is to update pip package of XlsxWriter but then you get dulicated packages installed. One from apt and one from pip

/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/xlsxwriter/worksheet.py:358: SyntaxWarning: "is" with a literal. Did you mean "=="?
  if token is '':
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/xlsxwriter/worksheet.py:2437: SyntaxWarning: "is" with a literal. Did you mean "=="?
  if options['min_type'] is 'min' and options['min_value'] == 0:
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/xlsxwriter/worksheet.py:2440: SyntaxWarning: "is" with a literal. Did you mean "=="?
  if options['max_type'] is 'max' and options['max_value'] == 0:
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/xlsxwriter/worksheet.py:4999: SyntaxWarning: "is" with a literal. Did you mean "=="?
  if props[i]['type'] is 'number':
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/xlsxwriter/worksheet.py:6827: SyntaxWarning: "is not" with a literal. Did you mean "!="?
  if data_bar['bar_axis_position'] is not 'none':
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/xlsxwriter/worksheet.py:6862: SyntaxWarning: "is" with a literal. Did you mean "=="?
  if data_bar['bar_direction'] is 'left':
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/xlsxwriter/worksheet.py:6865: SyntaxWarning: "is" with a literal. Did you mean "=="?
  if data_bar['bar_direction'] is 'right':
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/xlsxwriter/worksheet.py:6875: SyntaxWarning: "is" with a literal. Did you mean "=="?
  if data_bar['bar_axis_position'] is 'middle':
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/xlsxwriter/worksheet.py:6878: SyntaxWarning: "is" with a literal. Did you mean "=="?
  if data_bar['bar_axis_position'] is 'none':
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/xlsxwriter/chart.py:2497: SyntaxWarning: "is" with a literal. Did you mean "=="?
  if val is 'right':
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/xlsxwriter/chart.py:2500: SyntaxWarning: "is" with a literal. Did you mean "=="?
  if val is 'left':

Hi Nông, I just wanted to chime in that I saw the similar Metasploit problems post-update on the 4.11 beta 3. the framework starts from the Application menu just fine right after I install the distro, but after I run updates I get this. (The msfconsole works, but the launcher script is missing):

Yours, JD

Bug spotted and problem is fixed. We are going to push it asap.

1 Like

@jdwear @TheSwedishLord finally i can take a look at metasploit-framework fully. The launcher broken problme was my mistake after moving scripts from parrot-menu to this package. The script name was wrong so it makes missing path and has unknown path that will be installed.
I also fixed old lib name in dependencies. The lib version is changed on current version of Debian.

1 Like

To avoid any further similar problem, or at least help users know what is wrong, i made a small change to parrot-menu.
P/s: problem should be fixed on repo so i’m closing this topic. If the problem is still there after next version of metasploit-framework comes, feel free to open it again
https://community.parrotsec.org/t/parrot-4-11-beta-3-changelog/18015/3

1 Like