Parrot on System76 w/ Nvidia

Hi All,

Thank you Parrot team for all the great work.

I have a quick question about Nvidia drivers. I recently flashed a System76 box with Parrot. No issues. I would like to install the System76 Nvidia firmware that ships with their Ubuntu/Pop_OS. I saw in the Parrot docs that parrot is compatible with System76 box but I was unsure about all of the System76 drivers.

I am running an AMD Ryzen 7 3700 with Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti.

Does the Parrot team believe that the System76 Nvidia driver (sudo apt install system76-driver-nvidia) will create any issues?

Thank you.

The System76 Nvidia is almost certainly just Nvidia’s driver, as in its the same as the one in the parrot repo or is available directly from Nvidia. The only difference I could realistically imagine is the parrot repo driver is older but I don’t know that to be true, in any case its the same software. The driver is proprietary so anyone making alterations and redistributing them must get Nvidia’s permission and I’ve never heard of them(Nvidia) granting this to any party.
Moreover to be able to do so with the command you’re talking about would require you to add a repository which can most definitely cause dependency related problems (however don’t be fooled into thinking adding a third party repo will be the instant end of the world either).
Oh and another thing, unless System76 made a change to the device (they’d also need Nvidia’s permission to do that).

Big picture: Unless you have some specific proof/evidence that System76 has created a unique driver then I’m here to tell you it’s the same proprietary driver that all of Linux uses. So basically don’t bother.

Thanks for the insight muroga.