Parrot OS freezes often

Briefly describe your issue below:

Last week I did a factory reset and set up Parrot OS alongside Windows. Everything was working fine for three days until I noticed that Parrot often freezes. Initially I noticed when I was running a couple of apps like discord, slack and firefox together. But today I was just running firefox with 4 tabs open and system froze yet again. Once when the OS freezes, I’m not able to perform any action, not even a suspend or switch off. I am forced to do nothing but long-press the power button to switch off.

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version (e.g. 4.6), edition(e.g. Home//KDE/OVA, etc.), and architecture (currently we only support amd64)

I’m using the latest version of Parrot OS, ie Parrot OS 4.9 with the default MATE UI. Architecture is amd64.

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)

I burned the Parrot OS iso file and installed it using the GTK installer.

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)

I have configured it to dual boot alongside Windows.

If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:
If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

I really love Parrot OS for a lot of things. Almost everything is perfect and this is the only issue I am facing right now. Please help me resolve this.

1 Like

Welcome

Which app/process surges in CPU usage during the freeze?

Could be a number of reasons.

What do logs say? Check out:

dmesg -l err

We need more information to narrow down a reason for the freeze :wink:

1 Like

Actually I’m not able to figure out in particular what app/process surges in CPU usage.
Once it froze when I ran Burpsuite and Firefox, and I thought okay burp would’ve pulled more memory.
But recently, I only opened Firefox (was just youtubing) and the same problem happened.
I was checking out htop results in parallel and was amazed to see 6.8/7.6 GB being utilized for no reason.

I also ran dmseg -l err and it gave the following result (in attachment)

Welcome to the ParrotOS Community :hugs:
try these
1.Firefox uses too much memory or CPU resources - How to fix
2.Firefox - Memory profiling and leak detection tools

not all ram activity will be in the log and I don’t see anything to worry about (pre-cal-pci) is not included w/Debian.

Check htop command if you like to narrow down the process hogging ram (likely firefox relates if running scripts on, it can happens sometimes with too many windows open)

Thank you for the suggestions. However, I have been using firefox my entire life and it works like a charm in windows and this has never really happened there. Infact I used to have may tabs opened in Windows and that’s never been a problem. Moreover, my account is synced and I pretty much use the same version of firefox in Windows and Parrot OS too. What I am not able to understand is why this happens only in Parrot OS :confused:

Thanks for the reply. I keep run htop command often for checking purposes. But once my system freezes, I cannot do anything expect hard reboot, thus can’t check htop results either. And also regarding Firefox, my usage of Firefox in Parrot OS is very little compared to my usage in Windows OS. In Windows OS, I used to run multiple windows and have many tabs open. But here in Parrot OS, a single window with just 4 tabs opened itself creates this issue. Now that makes me wonder if there’s any issue with the Nvdia or Intel GPU driver.

Hello, I still have this issue unresolved. If this continues then maybe I’ve to switch to some other distro. I also think this issue is not only for me but for some other people as well going through the forum. Any help?

I also have exactly the same issue, cant figure out a solution

It happens also when some app like “firefox” is fullscreen, and you click on the botton tab to minimize it often.

thats weird
are you sure its not because of insufficient ram ?