Parrot OS grub bootloader problem

since Iā€™ve found that youā€™re so smartā€¦ and canā€™t able to install grub by using terminal.
and didnā€™t know about googling. (youā€™re so smart for that ehā€¦ :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:)
here is a link that explains how to reinstall grub on linux systems.

http://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-repair-restore-reinstall-grub-2-with-a-ubuntu-live-cd

canā€™t you see heā€™s a genius. he knows everything.
Iā€™m pretty sure heā€™ll do something smart. (like clicking the boot-repair till end).
and will complain it didnā€™t work.
heā€™s really smartā€¦ heā€™s complaining about mouse pointer didnā€™t work. :rofl::rofl:

I actually did the same as you did, and managed to fix the grub problem. It seems the GTK installation is the best way to install Parrot OS atm. Thanks for your advice.

In my experience Parrot OS dosnā€™t run sudo apt-get update during install which leads to the installer accessing a file that doesnā€™t exist. You can open a terminal and run it manually.

I had same problem.
I have BIOS version, earlier I had dual boot Kali(on sda)+win8(on sdb)
wanted to try Parrot Os
booted from live USB and installed from menu => grup installation to /target/ failed
finished installation without grub
after installation was done, i installed boot-repair (that required some time+web connection)
https://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/
select the DEB
download boot-sav, boot-repair, glade2script, glade2script-gtk (all .deb files)
install glade files first then -sav, then repair
in terminal I used
sudo dpkg -i DEB_PACKAGE
after installation I started boot-repair from menu and followed instructions.
installed grub to sda (other option would have been sda1 that was defined as /)
install success
reboot and it worked.

1 Like

I want to test parrot, but I get the same grub Lilo not installing, but I am not an advanced user as many here seem to be, Is it possible that you guys can make a tutorial on how to do this step by step or should I walk away and never come back?. I donā€™t to disturb anyone, is just an inquiry.
I am testing in a small old PC 32 bit before I commit to a 64 bit rig got Parrot Studio which is what I need, so any detailed help is appreciated , it would be a shame not to experience all this work because I failed to test this distro, I install many ubuntu variants. mostly mint and Kubuntu for newbies, so I am not new to linux and this is a great chance to introduce it to pros that have asked me for a fine solution.

I had the similar issues attempting to install ParrotOS 4.1 Security on my laptop as a dual boot - grub did not install, and of course it would not boot except in live modeā€¦after an evening of digging and using a variety of less than social words & phrases,

I found a suggestion the following notes to install the ParrotOS Home version using the GTK install from the live boot menu. The ā€œParrot Installā€ from within the live version already running did not work, and the regular ā€œInstallā€ from the live boot menu. However using the GTK Install worked, though the grub2 menu does not come up at boot, I have worked around for this for the moment by changing the boot loader in the bios to the Parrot and have it booting up and running.

Now, I am looking to upgrade to the Security edition, or I guess install all packages that would upgrade to that levelā€¦anyone know the best way to do thais?

Full disclosure: I am still a relative noob with linux, and have been using 1 distro or another for about 3 or 4 years.

Greetings.

This is my first reply and i signed-up just to get help with the GNU HRUB 2.02 Beta Version, cause it is driving me crazy; and help others with all I know.

Partition size 200 Gbs
Installation mode: Via USB through installer option

1 Like

still no solution?

I really need help

found the fix.

https://community.parrotsec.org/t/working-installation-of-parrot-os/3345

follow up the steps i mentiioned and you should be good to go.

Good luck guys :slight_smile:.

1 Like

First things first. In order to solve this problem you need to start in your bios settings. Look for the menu that allows you to change the boot order, this makes a big difference. Youā€™ll need to rearrange the boot order so your USB drive loads first, the second disk that needs to be loaded is the target disk or partition youā€™re installing Parrot on. Save those settings and reboot the computer. If it all goes will then you should have booted straight into your Live USB. I highly highly suggest using the old school installer rather than booting straight into the live OS. Thereā€™s no need to load into the OS and have pretty graphics just to install an OS. I had struggled with these issues back in Parrot 3.5-3.8 kept testing different ways to get the install to take. Now I get grub every time I turn on my computer with menu options for Win10 or my other Linux boxā€™s. Disk booting order is very very critical with dual/triple/quad booting.

I tried to install Parrot 4.4 from a live DVD onto one of my freshly formatted drives and it always failed to install the bootloader. I tried both Grub and LiLo. After several hours of frustration I gave up and installed Debian 9 which I think uses the same install program and it was successful. After some looking I ran across the info suggesting using etcher to make a bootable usb Parrot install and that was the ticket. The install was uneventful and successful. Anyway Iā€™m test driving Parrot 4.4 and enjoying it. Thanks for a great distro!

2 Likes

I also Iā€™m having problems loading parrot. IA was booting from a live USB in persistence until around a space and decided to install on a hard drive that was 6 hours ago. Iā€™m still letting it run in hopes that it is installing but I donā€™t think it is anymore .I think itā€™s stuck.

About to shut it down in hopes of starting over.

Also parrot thinks my hard drive belongs to somebody else.

Did you change the bios settings?
Can you provide the linl of what you used to make the installer?

Hi do you know how to use the parrot security recovery mode please help me I run full update after restarting it boots up and blinking so I turn off and go to the second option where you can see the parrot security recovery option advance

this is ok iā€™m try

https://ddser.cn/category/kali-linux/
good luck
grub leader :slight_smile:
/boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0-parrot1-13t-amd64 root=2 ro quiet splash noautomount quiet nouveau.modeset=0