Parrot OS KDE desktop menu not appearing.

Briefly describe your issue below:
Hi. Running updated version of Parrot OS KDE (security). On last apt update the bottom menu bar (which I assume is part of Parrot KDE) disappeared and I haven’t been able to get it back. I have tried manually installing KDE, messing with mate-tweak, changing resolution, etc.

Am I right in assuming that the menu is part of KDE? Is there a difference between Parrot KDE, KDE, and KDE Plasma? Does anyone know what the procedure would be to remove all of it and reinstall it?

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version (e.g. 4.6), edition(e.g. Home//KDE/OVA, etc.), and architecture (currently we only support amd64)
5.7.0-2parrot2-amd64

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)
Debian Standard (I think)
Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)
no
If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

update to this.
I somehow ended up with a MATE desktop. Sooo I then installed (wiht --reinstall) parrot-kde and then uninstalled MATE. Rebooted and now I boot into a tty. I’m having a hard time googling exactly what I need so I did a hail mary and

sudo apt-get install --reinstall parrot. [note: using wildcards on both sides of parrot]

Still got tty.

I’d really just like the KDE that comes stock with the KDE install back and I’m sure if I knew the package name I could just install it and reboot and things would be fine. But no luck figuring out what it was called.

Or if something else is broken, I’d love to be able to just use apt to reinstall all the defaults. I have a lot of work on this machine including weeks worth of OSCP notes and scripts. I’d hate to have to use the TTY to try and back all that mess up to a USB and reinstall. But that is looking like my best bet. Any ideas?

did you remove kde as well?

once try
sudo parrot-upgrade
and if it doesn’t work
you have to install the kde-desktop environment again or mate,any you prefer

I dont know if you ant to get rid of Mate or not but if you do try the following as a solution:
1: sudo apt update
2: sudo apt install parrot-kde
3: sudo apt purge --auto-remove mate* parrot-mate libmate-desktop*
4: sudo apt-mark hold mate-desktop parrot-mate libmate-desktop*
5: sudo apt full-upgrade
6: sudo apt clean && sudo apt autoclean
7: sudo reboot

All has been well in the KDE camp since then.
bing

This issue is due to the kde framework 5.70 although kde released a fix to it in kde framework 5.71 but debian has not yet added the newest version of kde to its package list(i don’t know what it’s called) so have to wait untill debian adds the newer version of kde to package list.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.