Parrot OS Newbie

Hey people!
I’m new to Parrot, I saw on YouTube that it has very beautiful interface with loads of pen-testing tools. So I thought it’s like any other Debian distro - stable. I installed it, went in terminal, typed apt-get update && apt-get upgrade (after I did sudo su). I couldn’t update it, nor upgrade, I needed to update list of sources (which is not sources.list) but I didn’t have much problem with that. I ran apt-get upgrade, then I installed wine(cuz I need that for work), then I rebooted the system with systemctl reboot (I love terminal in parrotOS it’s so dope). That mistake of mine made me realize that I shouldn’t use “apt-get” cuz it’s partial upgrade and since parrotOS is rollin’ distro it could cause a system failure (mine system failed lol).
So I reinstalled it…yes.
And I just want to ask y’all: Can you write down in this topic all the bugs and stuff to pay attention on parrotOS, because I don’t wanna crush it again (already lost some files I can’t restore, files that meant to me dang) & really I haven’t find any article about bugs of this system (To be honest I didn’t even research - I’m about to do that).
Thanks in advance, hope y’all have a great day!

well for the moment, there aren’t any serious bugs that would cause harm to your usage .
Yeah remember, never use apt-get in system upgrades. for the sources list (mirrors), it is always located at
/etc/apt/sources.list/parrot.list.d
if you get any bug, just post on the forum and others shall help you
Have a great time using Parrot OS

late response but my terminal tells me "sudo apt-get update isnt the one you should use instead use "sudo apt-get --upgrade

since its a rolling distro you need to use sudo apt get --upgrade and not the other one :). next time go through your terminal it should give you a warning stating why to use upgrade over update. i hope you have everything working now though

as per mentioned by user @Masmer the second method he mentioned is what i meant to post and every other updating option is what you should choose :slight_smile:

How do I upgrade my system?

First please, do NOT use apt-get upgrade . Because ParrotOS is a rolling distribution and how APT works, the command will cause considerable problems to your system. We don’t recommend apt-get in general as the command is not really meant for end-users. The following are the recommended ways to update your system:

1. First method

Open a terminal window (default is Alt+T) and launch the following command:

sudo parrot-upgrade
  1. Second method

Open a terminal window and launch the following commands:

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
  1. Third method

Open System > Administration > Package Manager (synaptic)

Then click on the button to update the packages list.

Click on the other button to select the upgrades and finally apply the changes.

https://docs.parrotlinux.org/faq/

4 Likes

im sorry buddy! i was just stating what the terminal said about what not to use! ill try your method from now on! thank you. im so use to ubuntu im trying to get use to this as well and i love helping people out. computers are my life :slight_smile:

sorry though i’ll never intentionally screw someones computer up i always try to help :slight_smile:

EDIT: your second method is the one i meant to post! i see what i did wrong and i apologize! thank you for correcting me i went back and looked and noticed your second option is what i meant to post overall. thank you

i always use Synaptic to do it so

i will work on providing better answers in the future :slight_smile:

1 Like

┌─[anonymox@parrot]─[~]
└──╼ $sudo apt full-upgrade
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
Calculating upgrade… Error!
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libc6-dev : Breaks: libgcc-9-dev (< 9.3.0-5~) but 9.2.1-4 is to be installed
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.

does anyone know what problem this is? I’m just wanna make sure this

Best regards,

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.