Parrot-upgrade issues

Briefly describe your issue below:
Having black screen after upgrading OS via “sudo parrot-upgrade” command

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version (e.g. 4.6), edition(e.g. Home//KDE/OVA, etc.), and architecture (currently we only support amd64)
Parrot security 4.7, amd64

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)
i’ve made full installation from live-usb to another USB Flash drive 32 gb. System is pretty stable but after full-upgrade its always crushing
Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)
no
If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:
error message via updating was :

1. "depmod: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod.c:515 lookup_builtin_file() could not open builtin file"
2. "W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi10" and list of missing amdgpu firware
3. Unable to find an initial ram disk that I know how to handle. Will not try make an initrd

after reboot display show black screen and then errors about amdgpu:
[drm:atom_op_jump [amdgpu]] "Error" atombios stuck in a loop for more than 5 secs aborting
[drm: amdgpu_atom_execute_table_locked [amdgpu]] "Error' atombios stuck executing A4A6 (len 84, WS0, PS0) @ 0xA4DC
[drm: amdgpu_atom_execute_table_locked [amdgpu]] "Error' atombios stuck executing CF70 (len 525, WS0, PS0) @ 0xCFC1
[drm:atom_op_jump [amdgpu]] "Error" atombios stuck in a loop for more than 5 secs aborting
[drm: amdgpu_atom_execute_table_locked [amdgpu]] "Error' atombios stuck executing A4A6 (len 84, WS0, PS0) @ 0xA4DC
[drm: amdgpu_atom_execute_table_locked [amdgpu]] "Error' atombios stuck executing CF70 (len 525, WS0, PS0) @ 0xCFE1

I suggest its about laptops graphic card.(i tried to update initramfs with "update-initramfs -c -k $(uname -r)", and after reboot display still shows black screen and cpu stall error)

laptop info: CPU amd Ryzen 3 3200u, 4gb ram, GPU Amd Radeon Vega 3

Edited post: put error msg in highlight block.

I believe this is an issue of kernel that missing driver for AMD devices. I am reporting this error to whole team and we are going to update kernel asap.

Thanks for your report!

Hello dmknght!

Can u write in this topic if kernel have been updated?

I can’t promise anything. I am not kernel developer and i don’t have any device to track this issue.

Missing firmware? If thats the core issue then this should solve it

Check Out Here

Clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git

Copy the missing files to /lib/firmware/amdgpu

reboot the machine

If that doesn’t help out, I may have misunderstood the error here.

Thank you for reply. But its not helped or i did something wrong. So problem is still there. I will wait for 4.8 stable version.

N: Skipping acquire of configured file ‘main/binary-i386/Packages’ as repository ‘http://as-repository.openvpn.net/as/debian buster InRelease’ doesn’t support architecture ‘i386’
N: Skipping acquire of configured file ‘main/binary-i386/Packages’ as repository ‘http://repo.mongodb.org/apt/debian buster/mongodb-org/4.2 InRelease’ doesn’t support architecture ‘i386’

How to sort this issue??

Hi dmknght! The issue was solved, i tried parrot-upgrade command and after system reboot, os is working fine.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.