Parrot XFCE is our prebuild iso edition that aims low spec hardware. After our very first build, we’ve found some problems and we would like to hear your feedback to improve it.
- Can’t type password after screen is locked. It should be fixed in next build.
- Not so lightweight: It still uses so much RAM.
II. After some test, we’ve found something about RAM:
- The higher resolution displays, the more memory that OS uses
- Some pre-installed plugins (not very necessary) uses much RAM.
- More objects (panels, plugins) uses more RAM.
III. We have some solutions
- Remove weather plugins and notification plugins (this saves 60 - 100mb RAM)
- Create new layout which has less object on desktop (1 panel only, move launchers to favorite apps in whisker menu).
So we create this topic to collect ideas and feedback from users. We want to know:
- What should be fixed in next version?
- Which plugin should be added / removed (include should we keep weather plugin or notification plugin)
- The layout we should use for XFCE edition.
- Which software / service should be added / removed to make system be more lightweight?
For now we are having 2 style
- “Traditional Parrot’s style” which has 2 panels. It takes more space on screen but it is very friendly and useful. With this style, users can use mouse to start applications from launchers quickly (or from places plugin / applications plugin).
- Only 1 panel at bottom (Like parrot-kde’s style). All launchers move to favorite apps. This style moves everything to whisker menu and users will use keyboard to use whisker menu.
- Any other style that we didn’t think about?
Screenshot of new style
P/s: This Parrot was installed inside Vbox 6.1.14, 3031MB RAM, resolution 1440x900. Any different setting can make memory usage be different.