ParrotOS 4.6 QA/Testing Discussion

Quick question: Are you running this as a LiveUSB or an install? The lock screen issue should be a high priority due to some users having to run it off of a USB key.

1 Like
(dmknght) #45

Live mode with virtualbox. It means any user can run without knowing the password.

( ) #46

@jasonb179, Lockscreen issue really fucks live users I agree
Need to be fixed in next releases (facing it also in KDE)
In VirtualBox it also ask for password & keyboard setting in live mode before the plasma login logo appears

1 Like
(Lorenzo "Palinuro" Faletra) #47

i don’t know how to configure the background and the widgets, but i will work on it for parrot 4.7. it’s too late to touch parrot-skel for 4.6

rc numbers can be seen from the filename you download

dist-upgrading an installed system is an interesting experiment to do and it will give you access to some package updates, but not the updates that fix bad behaviors in our live environment or the packages installed by default and not tracked by a metapackage

added :slight_smile:

made a fix for it for both live-config and debian-installer

noticed on kde edition, i fixed it by using lightdm for kde too instead of using sddm, which doesn’t seem to be properly configured to be run after live-config

let’s see if the next iso files will behave better

(Lorenzo "Palinuro" Faletra) #48

i can confirm that the following bugs are fixed:

sandbox authorization in live mode

installer theme

libreoffice startup

vim

bugs still around:

kde edition requires login in live mode even with lightdm instead of sddm

i still don’t know how to setup a custom background in parrot-skel for kde plasma

3 Likes
(Lorenzo "Palinuro" Faletra) #50

blackbird should not be selectable by default, just ignore it, it is there because some of its components are used by other themes

1 Like
(Lorenzo "Palinuro" Faletra) #52

it should ask for the user password instead of the root password, and it should not be asked in live mode

i think disabling it is a better idea rather than removing it

1 Like
(dmknght) #53

Is there any idea / solution for screen lock in live mode? Locking screen without knowing password is not good at all (MATE DE)

( ) #54

Hey Bro, @palinuro
But I hope that you will disable it by default in next releases (Other users will also like this) :smile:
It is worst things of KDE Environment
So, there are still bugs as it also asks for password in the live mode :smile:
I always like live mode (encrypted persistence) rather than installing it :smile:

(Nico Paul) #55

It is not recommended nor is it efficient to use a live environment versus installed to bare metal.you are bot able to utilize tbefull potential of the system. Live has its purposes but generally installed is way way way better

1 Like
( ) #58

Think That New Version : →
Parrot-kde-security-4.6-2019.04.17_amd64.iso
But confused it is RC or not, think that 4.6 releasing very soon, gonna test it :smile:

1 Like
Parrot 4.6 beta testers program
(Lorenzo "Palinuro" Faletra) #59

yes it can be considered a RC image, but we are almost ready to releqse the final version

2 Likes

Sorry if I sound impatient, but how soon is final ISO and will it have 4.20 Kernel?

( ) #61

As from the structural definition of RC release is meaning that nothing new will be added but fixing bugs. So I think that 4.19 will be final :smile:

(Andi Artz) #62

@palinuro I’m going to test it on VM and maybe on another machine which I don’t need for daily use :wink:

1 Like
(Lorenzo "Palinuro" Faletra) #63

linux 4.20 is deprecated now in favor of 5.0, and 4.19 is a LTS kernel

5.0 is not yet ready on debian, so parrot 4.6 will have linux 4.19.28 debianized with some custom patches

4 Likes

What bugs have you found? I found that on live boot, libreoffice wouldn’t run, but passing:

firejail --noprofile libreoffice

makes it work fine. :slight_smile:

1 Like
(dmknght) #67

Libre works okay after install. Did test with live mode

closed #68

ParrotOS 4.6 is out

(Patrick Dunn) #69

Found something interesting

If you run /usr/bin/libreoffice from commands line it works

Then after that - run libreoffice, again from command line but without the full path. It launches first time.