ParrotSec4.8 (UEFI shell) -Win 10 "Core Isolation"

Hi all.
I noticed that when I boot the ova image of Parrot Sec 4.8 (Virtual Box 6.1 on Windows 10 host) it bring me to UEFI Shell where I have to manually edit the startup.nsh file to boot normally in grub again.
Anyone experienced the same issue?
I don’t think it could be related to Virtualbox just because I can boot the other OS ova images normally, it happens only with Parrot .
Any help in order to understand why this happens is really appreciated.
I found out that there’s another issue with a Windows 10 security feature called “Core Isolation”: if enabled it prevents Parrot Sec booting on Virtualbox.
Again, I didn’t encounter the same issue with starting other OS ova images…
Really hope someone can help…

1 Like

Hi Windom i had same problem and found the solution in this link:

I replace for:
Shell> fs0: edit startup.nsh \EFI\parrot\grubx64.efi
FS0> \EFI\parrot\grubx64.efi
and start.
I am looking for a way to optimize the boot because every time I run the Parrot 4.8 virtaul machine I must write those commands. I hope you find it useful.
Bye

Shell>

1 Like

Thank you for the fix. I would love to know of a way as well to automate this. Would make it a lot easier then having to enter it every time I boot up.

If you follow strictly the instructions in here (line by line): https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=61970&f=3&sid=8f1d9a4ce3d3f6379e01d2b7f69a2d45#p289297
you will open an interactive editor, which allows you to create and save the startup.nsh file. Once it’s created, the automatic boot works.
(replace “\EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi” by “\EFI\parrot\grubx64.efi”)

Hi all guys.
As bouscram MS said, there’s a simple way to edit the startup.nsh file in order to avoid to do that everytime you start Parrot.
These are the steps starting from the shell:
Shell> cd fs0: #change to fs0 folder then from fs0 folder edit the startup.nsh file
FS0>edit startup.nsh

#you have to edit the startup.nsh file writing these 2 lines:
FS0:
/EFI/parrot/grubx64.efi

then press enter

then press Ctrl ^ S

then press enter

then press Ctrl ^ Q in order to exit from the edited strartup.nsh file

#Then you’ll be promped to the FS0 folder again where you have to “reset” in order to start Parrot with the startup.nsh file you’ve edited:
FS0>reset
With this workaround you’ll be able to enter the grub without edit that lines everytime you boot up Parrot OS.
Hope I’ve been clear, If U need any help in order to reproduce the steps above let me know.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.