Persist Changes Next Boot

It’s just a joke about password strength. I was just suggesting that when you make a portable security OS, that you use some solid encryption with a solid key/phrase/etc… in the event hat it is stolen or lost.
I believe parrot’s installer will encrypt the partition for you, or provide the option anyway during the initial installation.
correct horse battery staple

It will mildly slow down your boot, but so mildly that a better answer would be no.

If you’re locked out of root and you have access to a user in the sudoers group, go ahead and just do a

sudo su -

and then change your root password with

passwd

Should I just set up normal persistence, and boot and then choose encrypted live persistence instead of normal live persistence? @mootiny you said that is will mildly slow down your boot, but just the boot, or will it affect running programs and other stuff? Also, can you explain all these terms, like mount, sectors, swap space, and partition tables? So, eventually, I should only end up with two partitions - one with the actual file system, and one that stores changes I make, including apps and files I download, correct? How should I install system updates, and where are those stored? Also, since I am really new to Linux, how can I improve my command line skills? I have a little bit of experience from mac command line, and they are kind of similar, but really, I just used cd, ls, mkdir, touch, and python3. I just started using diskutil and dd recently.

to set up encrypted persistence, read this https://docs.kali.org/downloading/kali-linux-live-usb-persistence

live will only slow down boot, the difference in speed when launching an application between live and installation will be near to nothing

mount si to mount the device to a place in your system, umount is to unmount the device
the swap space is a partition that you can use as back up for your ram management, and other things like hibernate, sleep etc, its a partial partition

yes, if you use live persistence, you will have one partition that contains the iso, and one with persistence, while if installing you will have 3 partitions, one swap space, one for boot, and one for everything else

you are asking way too much questions that are off topic, this is about parrot support, not linux, use man to learn tools, and search on internet for questions already answered

1 Like

In fdisk, I choose primary partition, 3 for the partition number, and all the default sectors
In the end, it was 4 GB ( I am using a test flash drive in case I mess up ) and type Linux ( what’s that? )
How can I change the partition size, and I about how big should I make it?

Then I did mkfs.ext4 -L persistence /dev/sdd3

After that I ran sudo echo “/ union” /mnt/usb/persistence.conf, but it just repeated / union /mnt/usb/persistence.conf back to me

The folder is empty, or maybe I’m just not in the right place

I also have 2 drive called ParrotSec. One has the files shown here, and the other just has an efi folder with a boot folder inside, containing bootia32.efi and bootx64.efi. Is this normal?

Should I only LUKS encrypt the persistence partition? And what is the encrypted persistence option in the boot menu?

yes thats my fault, i mistyped the command, its echo "/ union" > /mnt/usb/persistence.conf i forgot the > to select where to echo, and yes the two ‘parrotsec’ partition are supposed to be here, so its not two partitions with persistence but 3 i forgot about that

i think you should only encrypt your persistence partition, encrypting your boot partition will really slow down your boot speed and over time damage your drive (because of every time decrypting, encrypyting)

It says there is no such file. I checked with the file explorer too. What is /mnt/usb?

‘/mnt/usb’ is where you would mount your usb if you followed the commands i wrote above, ‘usb/’ being the folder you create to mount the iso, and ‘/mnt’ being the file system for mounting drive

so replace ‘/mnt/usb’ with where you usb is mounted, or launch the file manager, go to the root directory of your persistence partition, and create a file named ‘persistence.conf’ and write inside it / union and youre done if you followed the steps before correctly

as for sectors definition, typing in your search engine linux sectors would have given you the right definition, same with most of your questions

refrain from asking questions already answered and do some search before, parrot has bookmarks on firefox that has most things to get you started

It worked!
I just used a plain old text editor to make the persistence.conf file

How can I change the size of the persistence partition? To start over with a brand new Parrot system, should I just wipe the persistence partition, or how would I restore the default OS?

Last question :slight_smile: - what do this partition and the other one with the single efi/boot folder and the 2 .efi files do?

Thanks so much @coyik!

to change the size of the persistence partition, you need to modify the sector when you create the partition with fdisk, instead of doing enter twice for beginning and end of sector available, you choose the number you want

to start over, the safer way is to wipe your usb and do the steps again
one partition is the system, the other is the boot partition

I re-imaged my usb, and just made the mount point. Sorry, I forgot what I did last time, but do I run sudo mount /dev/sdb /mnt/parrot, or do I run sudo mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt/parrot?

And, I did some research online, just like you told me to do before I ask, but, this is what I get so far - basically mounting is letting the system know where to access the usb drive. Some systems automatically mount, I think Parrot does, so what is the point of running mount after I formatted the partition? This is just a one time thing after running mkfs.ext4, right?

I was doing this on a Parrot live mode usb, so when I rebooted, the mnt/parrot directory was gone. So what exactly is the purpose if it just disappears?

as a security feature, parrot doesnt mount drive automatically by default, which is why its required you mount the drive yourself, and you are right thats what mounting does

no this is not a one time, if you use an usb to store data, each time you plug it on parrot you will have to mount it, either by typing the correct command in terminal or by clicking on the usb storage inside your file manager

/mnt/parrot of course is not there anymore since its a live boot, so nothing is persistent, and its purpose was to be a location to mount your usb,of course you can mount your usb anywhere you want, but its to stay organized

Ok, it’s working now