Post Approval Takes Time

I’ve been assisting other users in this community for over a year. Why are some of my helpful replies to others taking over a day to be approved and some go right through? People want assistance ASAP. This community looks dead. Thanks.

1 Like

Hello. We know that requests for help need immediate support (and I thank you for the help you give in these threads). We receive many requests and it is necessary that each is checked, to verify that it is inherent to Parrot or Off-Topic, this takes time unfortunately, in addition to the other tasks we have to do. Consider that there is also the official Telegram group for support, so possibly users who really need immediate help can write to us there too.

We are improving the documentation also for this reason. And of course we will continue to improve it. In any case, I will also make it known to others and we will try to be more active, at least in moderation and approval. Parrot also supports itself thanks to users like you, who help each other.

1 Like

I feel the same way about “this community looks dead”. There’s weird “404” bugs with apt, there’s weird bugs with Firefox’s timezone info, and not a whole lot of “fixes” or “support” or discussion. I wish I had more motivation to dive into Linux development and figure out how to fix these types of bug myself, but the Linux ecosystem is so complicated, decentralized, old, and obscure that I’ve found it easier to just go back to using Windows mostly. (I was born in 1994 btw, I never “grew up” with Linux the way I did with Windows, so I am biased haha)

I have Parrot OS running on an old laptop, and I’m happy this project exists, but at the moment, the desktop interface is filled with too many “bugs” or “gotchas” that I just use it send a wake-on-lan packet to my desktop at home and Remote Desktop into Windows 10 when I use my laptop lol.

1 Like

I love Parrot. It’s interesting when the devs add new stuff. But for pentesting tools, Kali has a lot more support and usually stable package and distro upgrades due to their business model allowing them to have paid devs and the bulk of people who gravitate to the better known pentesting distro.

Parrot was my first exposure to the Mate desktop environment which I thought was more useful as a daily driver and the terminal was cool. Though I do like Kali’s Undercover Mode making it more Windows-ish. Kali’s menu could be improved with a single Pentesting Tools menu with submenu of submenus like Parrot. Though the KDE Plasma Kali menu is better than XFCE. And Kali runs on my ancient netbooks and Raspberry Pi 3.

lol and my msg on addressing the hold for approval also got on hold :rofl:

ofcourse it’s not dead
yeah, even i agree that when immediate replies are necessary, it’s kinda annoying to get the message on hold for approval,
this feature was introduced to reduce spam but you know everybody’s not free and it takes time to look here, but i hope that the concern team get to come with a solution for this.

1 Like

404 with apt is when a mirror is down due to under-development and Parrot has many official mirrors across the world and u can choose the one suits you, please read the documentation https://docs.parrotsec.org/mirrors-list.html
And your timing depend on the location u set or your internet usually, and firefox settings has option to sync timezone with system settings

I wish I had more motivation to dive into Linux development and figure out how to fix these types of bug myself, but the Linux ecosystem is so complicated, decentralized, old, and obscure that I’ve found it easier to just go back to using Windows mostly. (I was born in 1994 btw, I never “grew up” with Linux the way I did with Windows, so I am biased haha)

GNU/Linux is not too complicated, it has to be studied and then applied what has been learned in the theory. It is old for historical reasons, but it is continuously supported by a lot of people and with the fact that it is open source there is no excuse lol. I’m more or less the same age as you but I would never go back to Windows, unless there are particular reasons.

And Kali runs on my ancient netbooks and Raspberry Pi 3.

Parrot currently runs smoothly on my 2009 netbook, with a single core at 800 Mhz-1.2 Ghz and 2 gb of ram ddr2. I can’t do too much with it, but for surfing the web and writing is just fine. Consider that support for ARM (and therefore for the various Raspberry Pi) will arrive with Parrot 5.0.

Cool! The last 32-bit Parrot Linux I found is Parrot-security-4.4_i386.iso. Are you able to dist-upgrade it to the recent “5.0” version?!

Hello, could you give me more details on which particular firefox setting? I just looked again, and searching “time” in the about:preferences page turned up no such “sync timezone with system settings” option. If I ever find a solution to this, I plan on updating my previous topic with a fix.

Also, thanks for the link to the Mirrors list on the Parrot Documentation! I will look into that if I run into issues with 404s moving forward. I feel like it might be beneficial if there was a way for Parrot OS to detect 404-errors, and automatically link to the documentation for changing mirrors, or to automatically pick a new mirror, to help users unfamiliar with apt.

I think part of the issue is that I personally have the attention span the size of a fly lol. I sometimes get frustrated with how much effort it takes to solve a problem on Linux, compared to an OS like Windows or Android, where solutions are more or less “standardized” and “well documented”. On Linux, when I encounter a problem, I’m usually in the middle of working on project X, or trying to solve my own problem Y, and the “solution” for the Linux problem is usually spending multiple hours learning a subsystem Z, which may be outdated or not even be the solution to my particular Linux problem. From my perspective of being efficient, productive, and not getting frustrated, using Windows can sometimes be less stressful :stuck_out_tongue: !

I feel like when I read about people trying to use linux, but then moving back to windows, I can really understand their perspective. Linux is big, and there’s a lot of moving components in it. Windows is like a car you can take to the dealership to get worked on, Linux is like a DIY car made from scratch, and solving a problem is easy if you’re a full time car mechanic lol.

Going further,
Please create a new topic for the issues you have or tag corresponding accounts on existing topic instead of replying on an unrelated topic.

and you are not guaranteed to get the problem solved, you might get the solution as Reinstall*
You pay for it and you get some assistance but still not complete

Most Linux distros are FOSS, you get assistance for some extent but you don’t pay anybody to demand their time :slight_smile:

Unless you have interest to solve the problem and learning things, none can help you out
There are hell lot of documentations, and Parrot is based on Debian and number people facing errors and solving them are never few!

If your car is punctured in middle of the forest without no phone network, you have no other choice than fix it with a repair kit even if you have no idea, and to fix it you’ll read the manual. Here, you read few documentations, forums and get the solution.

Preference > General > Language

Parrot OS is an open source software, No such operating system is made as a school, it’s obvious that the user has to use a search engine and get few basic knowledge on their own.
And over that, the documentations exists to help in such situations.

It is not a 32-bit system, by now those are deprecated and unfortunately they won’t be supported anymore. And anyway yes, I can update it to the latest version without any problems (except it is a bit slow to download, very old network card lol).

I feel like when I read about people trying to use linux, but then moving back to windows, I can really understand their perspective. Linux is big, and there’s a lot of moving components in it. Windows is like a car you can take to the dealership to get worked on, Linux is like a DIY car made from scratch, and solving a problem is easy if you’re a full time car mechanic lol.

@Th3Director has already said enough about it and I agree. With GNU/Linux you have the opportunity to learn from yourself and delve into topics that you could not find elsewhere. In any case, most of the common problems are solved on the web, which you may not find on a Windows or MacOS. It depends on the use cases (but in the more complex cases you would still have a huge support, that’s the beauty of open source). Moreover, consider that now GNU/Linux is much more usable than in the past, many systems (like Parrot) already have everything ready to start developing or doing whatever interests you.

just an FYI, it appears that telegram requires you to enter your phone number to create an account (which is probably why I preferred to use this forum and my email when I first needed support), and might be inaccessible to some users (who don’t have access to a phone network for example).

ok. so i was born in '61, yes i am that old and do remember punch paper tape! However i only came to linux and parrot in particular during the last few years. I like many, was at the mercy of Microsoft and all its inherrant crapness. I am not at all techy minded but used my freedom of choise to make the switch. Was it all plain sailing?,of course not, but i stayed with it. A friend asked how i was getting on almost a month later and i told her i would never give Gates that satisfaction, to this day i havent fired up anything but Linux. I have tried several Distros but for me it has to be Parrot. Do odd things happen from time to time ?, yes, but one can always find solutions and or help. I see too many people saying, oh but its not like windows, well no and all the better for it. Stop moaning and wanting everything now. Take your time and learn and learn you will. Does my machine get stuffed full of updates to the point it wont work, certainly not ( take note microsoft) Is my machine full of unwanted bloat, no.
Also making the change really opened my eyes to the corporate tech world, generally a shit hole. Since my conversion its open source for me, no google, no meta, no gmail, in fact no GAFAM at all. I get no spam, zero popups and spurious content because I search for what I require rather than being fed what someone else thinks I should see. I firmly believe that use of linux systems should be derigeur for all public institutions, school, health, government etc. If this were to be the case we as citizens might just end up salvaging some dignity and even reclaiming some of our privacies at the expense once and for all of big tech.
So dont just moan and complain, get active , research your problems and you will find a way.

GNU/LINUX IS NOT MICROSOFT OR APPLE

Nuff said
bing

2 Likes

yeah, this is a reason to be on forum,
but usually it’s more easier to open a chatting app (where they get many communities/people at one place) compared to a browser and then a website,
not for everybody ofcourse, but I’ve received this as a feedback from many.
And also that you will be responded here on the forum, but you can get to see a lil bit higher amount of activity on telegram group.
And about that phone number, if you don’t have access to a phone, well it’s upon you if you are interested for new ways,… Still if you are about privacy to not disclose your number, then telegram has that option, unless your number is saved on other person’s contact, it won’t show up.
LOL i would rather promote forum than telegram (but it went opposite here just to let u know)