Problem Starting ParrotSec(Virtual Box).

Briefly describe your issue below:
Whenever I run the Parrot Security virtual machine via VirtualBox, it opens successfully, but I get a blank black screen with a flashing “_”, and the following error:
ieee80211 phyo: rt2x00usb_vendor_request: Error - Vendor Request 0x06 failed for offset 0x0404 with error -32

I know it has something to do with my wireless adapter because when I unplug it, I get the following error:
ieee80211 phyo: rt2x00usb_vendor_request: Error - Vendor Request 0x06 failed for offset 0x1700 with error -19

I am using an ALFA AWUS036NEH 802.11b/g/n adapter that I bought from amazon in order to learn Kali Linux. Anyone know how I can fix this problem?

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version, edition, and architecture)
Parrot 4.2.2 (idk the other stuff)

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)
Debian 64 bit via VirtualBox.

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)
Yes

If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

It looks like you have to install guest additions (maybe host as well I dont like vb very much vs dockers

Not to sound stupid, but I have no idea what you’re talking about lol

No worries I’m a big fan of documentation so sometimes I get a little jargon-y. Dockers are kinda like virtual machines except without the OS extras that are needed for a full virtual environment/runtime rather than Dockers (containerization) which only include the app and only the libraries and binaries that you only need to run whatever app or package you need ported to your native OS. It takes some reading but I have found that even just taking a few terms a day and reading some sort of abbreviated synopsis on whatever it is you come accross that you dont understand is a great way to learn quickly but not feel like you’re cramming for a university final. Odds are you’ll find someone who likes to help others learn in order to solidify their understanding as well so I’m always happy to answer questions or help others understand something clearer. Just dont ever ask for a short synopsis from me haha

So, using VirtualBox, how do I fix my problem, if I can fix it at all?

Start with the docs on virtualbox Here and if still having issues it might be in your host

1 Like

First of all, I agree with Nico – using VB I think you almost always need to install guest additions, and docs ARE your friend! (even google helps sometimes)

I believe the ALFA AWUS036NEH uses the RT chipset and not the Atheros – there were several mentions of the RT chipsets and VB having issues for some time (depending upon which version of VB you are using – it is a vbox problem that’s happening on both win and linux. some vbox versions are more stable so try different. or use vmware.
…the next suggestion is to check the actual chipset on your Alfa as well as the firmware version so you know what you are dealing with – many of the devices that come from Amazon are cheap knock-offs of the original.

You might also try the following:

1. Shut your virtual machine down
  2. Connect your Wi-Fi USB Adapter
  3. Go to the settings of the virtual machine, select USB
  4. Change USB 2.0 (EHCI) to USB 3.0 (xHCI)
  5. Add new USB filter with your Wi-Fi card
  6. Save settings

This in no way is a substitute for looking up issues and fixes for your specific system config, and we all ask questions — that’s how we learn.

That’s just my opinion, I could be wrong :wink:

2 Likes