Problem to install a .tar.bz2 file

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum, so excuse me if i forgot a rule in this topic. i’m using Parrot 4.6 (64-bit) since 1 week, and i’m familiar with linux (only debian distro) since 3 months. Previously i use Xubuntu 18.10.

Sorry for this introduction, so here is my problem : i am a developper, and i want install Firefox Developper Edition on my ParrotOS. I followed differents tutorials to install a tar.gz/tar.bz2 file in Ubuntu/Debian, but none works. I was thinking the mistake take from me (that’s surely that), and i ask tips to Ubuntu Forum, I was told to go directly to the forum of my distro. The original post was here

So, when i extract the file with tar -zxvf firefox-70.0b2.tar.bz2, i see this error message :
gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
tar: Child returned status 1
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

What’s the problem ? :confused:

Incidentally, I am very happy to join the community parrot, and hope to make my contribution :slight_smile:

It tells you what the problem is, it’s not gzip. You used the “x” switch for the tar command which corresponds to gzip. Bzip2 uses a different letter (hint: it’s not b)

man tar

1 Like

Hi, thank for you response.
I succes with -j, thank to you. but in the extract folder, i don’t found a file for install it.
with ls , that’s all the files/folders : application.ini gtk2 libnssckbi.so omni.ja browser icons libnssdbm3.chk pingsender chrome.manifest libfreeblpriv3.chk libnssdbm3.so platform.ini crashreporter libfreeblpriv3.so libnssutil3.so plugin-container crashreporter.ini liblgpllibs.so libplc4.so plugin-container.sig defaults libmozavcodec.so libplds4.so precomplete dependentlibs.list libmozavutil.so libsmime3.so removed-files firefox libmozgtk.so libsoftokn3.chk Throbber-small.gif firefox-bin libmozsandbox.so libsoftokn3.so updater firefox-bin.sig libmozsqlite3.so libssl3.so updater.ini firefox.sig libmozwayland.so libxul.so update-settings.ini fonts libnspr4.so libxul.so.sig

Find the file “firefox” in the directory and run it. Your done, that’s all. There’s no source or package files to deal with

Just use Main Menu from Control Center to install it in your tool bars :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for yours times :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.