Problems with wireless commands

I am using parrot security edition 4.5 64 bit, as primary OS, without any other operating systems installed.

Hello everyone, so I am having quite a few isues using network related applications (macchanger, airmon…) and commands (wlan0up/down, wlan0modemonitor). Basically, everytime I do ifconfig wlan0 down, iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor, and then I get wlan0 back up it stops working and I have to restart the whole system. Even if I just get wlan0 down and then back up, it will simply disconnect and it wont start again. It will just continue to try and connect to then fail, in a loop. I have already tried restarting networkmanager and everything, but the only solution is to restart the system. This makes me unable to use monitor mode and other functions. I am on a laptop, using a realtek external usb wifi adapter. If you have any ideas on how to fix it, please let me know.
Thank you in advance!

1 Like

i have issues with my ethernet driver. In my situation, I found out that RealTek is writing faulty drivers. So People have to make new kernels and download new drivers. I hope your solution is way easier! Check out this post here, an example of having to remove/get kernels.

What chipset is the device you are using, are you sure it is capable of monitor mode or injection? Also please clarify “doesn’t work”,

The chipset is ath9k. The wireless card does support both monitor mode and packet injection, both on 2.4 and 5 ghz. By doesnt work, I mean that it just simply stops working. Once i take it down, even if I get it back up without any command in between (just wlan0 down and then up, no mode change or macchanger or stuff like that) it just simply goes in a loop, trying to connect to the network, but failing. If you open network manager to manually connect, it will try, but then say disconnected, or unable to connect