Shutdown issues

Hi,

I’ve installed Parrot yesterday and having difficulties shutting it down. At first, every times I stopped the computer (shutdown or restart, from the GUI or command) the screen just freezes as it was and nothing happened. Then I found somewhere that I should update my Nvidia drivers, so I followed this tutorial.
After the reboot described in this doc, I wasn’t able to start parrot anymore, after the grub selection I was just seeing the loading screen, then a black screen with a white _ on the left top corner.
To fix this I had to add “acpi=off” to my grub boot command (then I persisted it in /etc/default/grub).

Now, I can start parrot and restart works like a charm, but I still can’t shutdown : now it seems to work at first, shows me the shutdown loading screen and freeze on that.
I was not able to execute the last part of the nvidia update doc thought, the command optirun glxinfo | grep OpenGL returns me “[ 1008.591039] [ERROR]No bridge found. Try installing primus or virtualgl.” (So I’ll probably install one of those, but wanted someone opinion first).

I don’t know if what I’ve been doing is right, especially the acpi=off, it seems to work but I feel it’s strange to have to do that to be able to boot…

Another problem, may be related somehow, but when I press my physical power/shutdown button, the computer shutdown instantly (like really, it’s immediate), but from my Parrot config it supposed to shows me a prompt to choose what to do. Don’t know why, but really strange.

Thanks to anyone who read this till the end :slightly_smiling_face:

What version of Parrot are you running? Parrot Security 4.2 x64 on a Razer Blade 2016

What method did you use to install Parrot? Debian standard, with additional steps described here because de grub was not working

Configured to multiboot with other systems? Yes, Windows 10 installed first, then Parrot

If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:
https://community.parrotsec.org/t/big-bug-here/3026

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:
Nothing, it just freezes

1 Like

I’ve reinstalled the latest version (Parrot 4.2.2) and did the following :

• Started Parrot with acpi=off (to make it permanent, I edited /etc/default/grub and added “acpi=off” to “GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT”).
  • Installed the Nvidia drivers for my graphic card : sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install nvidia-driver
  • Restarted the computer

And now it works fine!

this is not a solution, in fact this may be why you are having issues now. you only updated your repository listing of the packages but did not actually upgrade anything. You allso used apt-get instead of apt while apt-get may work it also will sometimes alter your system/environment in undesireable and unpredictable ways, apt is more intelligent and cleaner from what I have researched when I learned about the differences. The Documentation will instruct you on how to set up your system and correctly upgrade with sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade

I wasn’t trying to upgrade the system but just to reload the packages as you said, to install the latest nvidia-driver.
I know the apt dist-upgrade command and that’s what I do most of the time to upgrade, except last time as parrot asked me if I wanted to do it, so I just clicked ok (but I supposed it just run the same command in background so it shouldn’t make an difference…)
Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Ah gotcha , it can be tricky sometimes when you know the package you want but it wont let you connect And retrieve it… especially when i accidentally create a franken-parrot lmao