Stuck at boot page, cannot go into login

Briefly describe your issue below:
Relatively new to Parrot OS. I have successfully installed the OS, but when I boot, it gets stuck in the boot screen and doesn’t go to the login screen. If I force restart by holding power button, it works at times.
Otherwise, I have to add ACPI=OFF at the boot command line and then use Ctrl-X or F10 to get it working.
Is there a permanent solution for this? I have done Nvidia driver installation and also upgraded my OS to the latest repo.

Apologies if this is a repeated question, but I couldn’t find a consolidated solution on other similar threads.

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version, edition, and architecture)
Parrot Security, x64 architecture. My CPU is Nvidia GTX GeForce 980M with G-sync.

What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)
Using Advance menu - Guided partitioning

Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)
Yes, Windows 10 dual boot

If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:
Sometimes shutting down is an issue. It hangs forever.

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

Hi. Do you have a laptop? If so, what is it’s model?

How did you install nvidia drivers? Have you followed our guide? Tuto install of bumblebee and drivers

I had similar issues with asus laptop, though they are very laptop-depending because I solved this issue by rewriting ACPI table. (here’s a solution https://askubuntu.com/questions/921580/ubuntu-freezes-on-login-after-prime-select-intel/923216#923216)

But be ready that it may not work. Though it works for me.

Hi.
I have a Clevo P650RG model laptop.
And yes, I had installed Nvidia drivers using the guide you had quoted. Initially I had issues, but then I installed Parrot OS afresh and installed Nvidia drivers before apt-upgrade (as I had read somewhere that performing apt-upgrade immediately after fresh installation creates issues).
Thank you for the possible solution. Lemme try it out.

Apt upgrade will at some point break your system, parrot is a rolling distribution, to upgrade properly you need to run this:

sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade

or the shortcut:

sudo parrot-upgrade

1 Like

Thank you. Fortunately, I didn’t do a apt-upgrade.
I did
sudo apt-get update

followed by

sudo apt full-upgrade

and didn’t have issues upgrading. The issue is only with logging in and shutting down. Once I boot my laptop(without adding acpi=off in boot commands), it freezes at the boot logo page and doesn’t move to the login page. And while shutting down, it never leaves the desktop. I have to use “poweroff” command to force it to shutdown.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.