Swap and btrfs partition

Briefly describe your issue below:
I am trying to install Parrot Security 4.6 on a encrypted full hard disk. When choosing automatic partitioning, it does create an btrfs partition but no swap partition is created.
When accepting the created partitioning, the installation warns that it is better to create a swap partition.

Why it didn’t create it in the first place if it is better to have it?
I also read on the Internet that btrfs partition do need or support swap.

Can somebody help me out on this?

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version, edition, and architecture)
Parrot Security 4.6_amd64
What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)
Debian standard then tried with Debian GTK
Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)
No
If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:

If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

Hi @ghanisen,

You can ignore the warning and proceed without setting up swap. I believe @palinuro is going to suppress the warning message in version 4.7.

When you arrived at the ‘Partion disks’ portion of the install, did you select ‘Guided - use entire disk and set up encrypted LVM’ ? If so, this created a swap partion when I installed. If you chose either Guided setups that do not contain LVM, the swap partion is not being created automatically.

You should choose ‘Guided - use entire disk and set up encrypted LVM’ for best security.

1 Like

Hi @bigtasty,

Thanks a lot for your support. I did as you said with a dual boot install with Win 10. Parrot Home did indeed automatically create a swap partition.
However, while installing Parrot Home, grub was install on the HDD I reserved for it, without recognizing the Win 10 OS.
I have posted a separate issue asking how can I edit grub in Parrot OS to recognize Win OS and start offering the 2 dual boot options.

If you didnt install wi dows first it cannot recognize linux partitions. Btrfs does not use swap at all and its not needed as it is technically a random memory partition and therefore would corrupt btrfs images

Hi @Nico_Paul,

IWindows 10 was already installed on the C: drive and installed Parrot on a separate entire HDD.
Thanks

Is there a reason you prefer the windows bootloader vs grub?

hi @Nico_Paul,

I don’t; I’m only trying to get my grub to show up with a dual boot configuration, showing both Parrot OS and Windows 10.

I tried using grub-update in the terminal; it doesn’t find windows 10 OS. When I list the drives I mange to see all the drives, including the windows (ntfs) ones.
Now the question is how change grub to take win 10 into account.
Thanks

Hi @ghanisen

Try the following:

1. sudo os-prober
  2. sudo update-grub

The first command should detect other operating systems installed. If it does, the second command should update grub with what os-prober detected.

2 Likes

Hi @bigtasty,

Thanks. I have done exactly that and it does not detect windows 10, even after I mounted windows drive .

My machine has a UEFI and even after removing secure boot, disabling UEFI and reinstalling again, Parrot OS does not finds any operating system on the machine.

Is it because I installed, and GRUB, on separate entire 4 TB internal HDD with encryption?

Just to be clear, you see a GRUB menu at boot, but it doesn’t list Windows 10, correct?

Also, what is the output of os-prober? Does this detect another drive with Windows 10 installed?

Hi @bigtasty,

Thanks for answering. I see grub only when I boot manually (thru computer setup) from the whole drive where I have installed Parrot.

When I run os-prober on terminal, there is no output at all and when I run grub-update it works but no sign of windows 10.

Hi @bigtasty and @Nico_Paul,

Thanks to both of you for helping me out. I have finally found and corrected the problem:

While installing Parrot from a DVD (burned iso), there are 2 possibilities; with and without EFI.
Since my computer is UEFI, I should have chosen the EFI install which I overlooked.

I have only noticed the 2 possibilities when I opened my computer setup and saw that 2 DRW boot possibilities exist, with EFI and without. This time I chose EFI and everything went perfectly and now I have an encrypted Parrot drive and a real (EFI) dual boot system that works.
Now also, os-prober functions well as does grub-update.

I hope this post will help other members of the community.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.