Swap issues after update

Running Parrot sec 4.7, just completed update using Synaptic package manager - some 470 files updated.
Boot into default (latest) kernal produces error “Cryptsetup: Waiting for encrypted source device /cryptswap”
I have to do hard reboot, then select kernel 4.18 and all runs fine - no errors on start up.

This is Parrot on Macbook Air, has been running and booting into either kernal just fine until the update. I dont mind using the older kernal, but would prefer to have things working right, and learning more about how to solve these problems, so any help is much appreciated
Phil

Hi! This is an issue when you upgrade from 4.7 (kernel in this version doesn’t support SWAP and it doesn’t make SWAP partition).
I got that issue as well. To fix it, you have to boot into recovery mode, edit /etc/fstab, comment the line that has SWAP partition.

3 Likes

Hi dmknight, thanks for your suggestions, unfortunately it has made no difference. I have even now removed entirely the respective line in /etc/fstab, and also the respective lines in /etc/crypttab and even removed the cryptswap file, but same error on startup when using the upgraded kernel
cryptsetup: Warning: Option ‘cypher’ missing in crypttab for plain dm-crypt mapping cryptswap. Please read /usr/share/doc/cryptsetup-initramfs/README,initramfs.gz ans add the correct ‘cypher’ option to your cryptab[5]

These are the errors I get at boot into the latest updated kernel:

[ 0.95687] Error: Needed type [Reference], found [Integer] 000000002b33
073d (20190703/exresop-66)
[ 0.956828] ACPI Error: AE_AML_OPERAND_TYPE, While resolving operands for [0p
codeName unavailable] (20190703/dswexec-424)
[ 0.956834] ACPI Error: Aborting method _PR.CPU0.PDC due to previous error
(AE_AML_OPERAND_TYPE) (20190703/psparse-529)
cryptsetup: Warning: Option ‘cypher’ missing in crypttab for plain dm-crypt mapping cryptswap. Please read /usr/share/doc/cryptsetup-initramfs/README,initramfs.gz ans add the correct ‘cypher’ option to your cryptab[5]
cryptsetup: Warning: Option ‘size’ missing in crypttab for plain dm-crypt mapping cryptswap. Please read /usr/share/doc/cryptsetup-initramfs/README,initramfs.gz ans add the correct ‘size’ option to your cryptab[5]
cryptsetup: Waiting for encrypted source device /cryptswap…

As I noted previously - boots fine into kernel 4.18, all references to cryptswap have been removed, yet same problem

ahh damn i wish you didn’t do that. Now everything is messed and hard to track the bug.

Which part should I not have done?
I can re-instate content on fstab an crypttab and also recreate the cryptswap?
I am hoping not to have to make a completely new re-install, but if needed, then I can I suppose

After removing all swap references on /etc/fstab and /etc/crypttab and removing cryptswap file, as noted above, I then ran:

apt purge cryptsetup
apt autoremove

and all is now well, with loading the latest kernel, seems the problem solved.
Thanks dmknght for your help.

Hey sorry we was very busy for the next release. Glad you fixed the error. Did you create full encrypted disk?
I don’t fully understand your issue but i think it is still the problem of swap partition.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.