System freezing while in browser

Haha glad that you are having wonderful experiences haha

2 Likes

Hi there,
I have just followed the steps but not able to locate the brave browser in my system
Release 4.9 64-bit
Kernel Linux 5.5.0-1parrot1-amd64 x86_64
Release 4.9 64-bit
MATE 1.24.0
Memory:-3.7Gib
Processor:Intel® Pentium® CPU N3700 @ 1.60GHz × 4
Graphics:Mesa DRI Intel® HD Graphics 405 (Braswell)

1 Like

did you do all the steps correctly? you can copy and paste with ctrl+shift+c/v
Here is the full documentation: https://brave-browser.readthedocs.io/en/latest/installing-brave.html
if you follow all the processes correctly you can easily spot the application in the menu

2 Likes

You may have done this already,but it likely requires a restart of your device.
i’m just in the habit of doing it,but that’s what it took for the program to be visible for me…

1 Like

After cycling back and forth between the two edits mentioned,i find that this one performs better,at least on this device.

the addition of (zswap.zpool=z3fold” ) to the command line seems to add lag / latency,and just overall slower performance.

Use links2-gtk

1 Like

So you’re saying…

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet splash zswap.enabled=1 zswap.compressor=lz4” :-1:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet zswap.enabled=1 zswap.compressor=lz4 zswap.zpool=z3fold” :-1:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet splash zswap.enabled=1 zswap.compressor=lz4 links2-gtk" :+1: ???

I’m sure you’re busy,and this is a bit off topic,i know.
but if you could clarify when when you have a moment ,i’d appreciate it…
I’ve seen (gtk) recently,but honesty,i couldn’t tell you how it works or how it fits into the line i’m editing…?
thanks in advance…

Links2
Links is a graphics and text mode WWW browser, similar to Lynx. It displays
tables, frames, downloads on background, uses HTTP/1.1 keepalive connections.
In graphics mode it displays PNG, JPEG, GIF, TIFF, and XBM pictures, runs
external bindings on other types, and features anti-aliased font, smooth
image zooming, 48-bit dithering, and gamma and aspect ratio correction.
Screenshot at 2020-06-17 1kh6942

official website : Links - by Twibright Labs
links2(1) - Linux man page

1 Like

After researching it,i’m not sure if i’m ready for something like that at the moment…?
i like the concept,but the interface is just too stripped down for me as a novice.

you guys are so accustomed to building things from source and using command lines,that using something like links probably isn’t much of a big deal.
but for me,it would be a complete headache,especially while still trying to familiarize myself with linux and all of it’s complexities…

yeah its not for newbies ,need experience
even i cannot use it ,nor i would prefer to use it :grin:
(an antique software)

Yes I had to copy the Brave browser from the location and paste it on the Desktop taskbar manually!! I had to do it for Chrome as well!! Anyway it is fixed. Thank you!!!

Thank you!!!

1 Like

you’re very much welcome…

i’m still trying to find a way to optimize browser performance for low spec machines running ParrotOS…
though i’ve enabled Zswap,I’ve still be experimenting with swapiness and cache pressure along with a few other network tweaks…
I’ll post my findings here as i run across them…

I’d appreciate your thought on swapiness and cache pressure settings on ssd machines with Zswap enabled.
that’s basically where i am now,adjusting those settings and monitoring the results…
from what i understand,the enabling of Zswap replaces normal swap,but how does that effect swapiness,if at all?
at the moment,i’m running swapiness at 1 and cache pressure at 200,which allows steady video streaming and light browsing,with slightly slower page load time.
i find that while lower cache pressure may be faster,when operational,it typically overwhelms the system and creates more crashes when streaming and browsing…

what do you think about that,and what other adjustment could you recommend ?

well, from what i found, they are basically used for server related things
the concept of zswap is good (compressed and put)
I went through this article: https://haydenjames.io/linux-performance-almost-always-add-swap-space/

1 Like

Ya beat me to it…lol
links is my favorite browser period. :slight_smile:

1 Like

hi! Besides the RAM i think you should set a SWAP partition or a SWAP file for your PC
it helped me a lot.

1 Like

I have,and i’ve been tweaking as times goes by to find the right settings for this device>>

Using Zswap with a swap partition takes some time to understand,because of the compression that takes place …

how to set a swap file ??