The Debian Administrator’s Handbook - free unofficial Italian translation

<<Art. 3 We will not hide problems. We will keep our entire bug report database open for public view at all times. Reports that people file online will promptly become visible to others.>>

From “Debian Social Contract” - Version 1.1 ratified on April 26, 2004. Supersedes Version 1.0 ratified on July 5, 1997.

DEAR SIR, DEAR MADAME,

I made these translations (patch) independently and for free in compliance with source-book license. Unfortunately no files with pot, po, mo, webml, etc. filename extensions are available: I have shared these translations and their sources only in PDF and TXT in compliance with source-book license. You can use TXT files for diff-like applications. I’m sorry, I can’t help you any more than that.

For economic reasons I cannot test all the services described in the source-book. I’ll update it to Buster soon (if my free time allows it).

In order to allow fixes and improvements, the patch (as a starting point for native italian speakers) has a similar layout (table of contents and page numbering) of the source-book. In order to help the readers, using the following ISO characters: [ ], I have added some tips about the terms in technical language (for instance: “deployment”, “NP-complete", “TCO”, “Disaster recovery”, etc.), that the authors have simply mentioned in the source-book.

You can use my translations to check the difficulties of a standard user who has not studied data science.

I suggest that a Italian data science expert undertake a thorough review of my patch of source-book for native Italian speakers: I’m sorry to tell you that some of the topics covered are beyond the capabilities of an “experienced Debian” translator. In the official translation, several fundamental concepts have been misinterpreted. And sure… probably in my patch too.

My PDF patch, for its source-book-like layout, will make it easier to review than just a trivial file.po. The pdf files can also be printed and compared with the paperback version of the source-book. And no time will be wasted on editing. Furthermore and only if necessary, the authors and the data science expert will be able to communicate with a single translator. Translator that basically serves only to make the “magic” of the data science expert faster than it would be if he were alone. With this patch I think I’ve already facilitated the “magic” more than anyone.

Finally, the highlighted technical terms in my patch may eventually be fixed, translated in English and integrated as notes in a new edition of the source-book.

My patch respects and imposes the constraints of the source-book license.

During the translation process, I haven’t used tools like google translator and I’m sorry to say that I didn’t take into account the official translation.

I reserve the right to evaluate or reject any collaboration proposal. Italian data science expert doesn’t need to be a member or contributor of the Debian community. The invitation is open to everyone and to any entity (public or private) or community (free software or not) in the world.

PS. Several services are described in the source-book, some of which are designated for other distributions (eg. Fedora). The review could be an opportunity for collaboration with other communities and further promotion of Debian.

Antonio Bonaccorso
Name of the patch (translation):

The_Debian_Administrator’s_Handbook_free_unofficial_Italian_translation

Code-name of the patch (translation):

TDAH_FUIT (TDAH_, in short)

Patch (translation) Version:

You have to search in this repository for the folder with the most recent version (the folder and the patch have the same incremental number).

Format of the patch (translation):

PDF exported and made with Pages, Apple word processor for macOS and iOS; A4; b/w and color printing; in Italian language.

Beginning of patch (translation) task:

October 21, 2019.

Italian Title of patch (translation):

for TDAH_FUIT_1.0 (path: TDAH_FUIT/1.0/) → Il Manuale dell’Amministratore di Debian. Debian Jessie dall’approccio iniziale sino alla completa padronanza. Traduzione gratuita e non ufficiale in italiano di Antonio Bonaccorso

for TDAH_FUIT_2.0 (path: TDAH_FUIT/2.0/) → Il Manuale dell’Amministratore di Debian. Debian Buster dall’approccio iniziale sino alla completa padronanza. Traduzione gratuita e non ufficiale in italiano di Antonio Bonaccorso

Status of patch (translation):

TDAH_FUIT_1.0 (path: TDAH_FUIT/1.0/): ready, unofficial; before using it, you should read the license warnings. Due to the complexity of the topics covered by the source-book, I still recommend the review by a data science expert (obviously Italian).

TDAH_FUIT_2.0 (path: TDAH_FUIT/2.0/): step-by-step ready, unofficial; before using it, you should read the license warnings. Due to the complexity of the topics covered by the source-book, I still recommend the review by a data science expert (obviously Italian).

Repository of patch (translation)
Source-book:

for TDAH_FUIT_1.0 (path: TDAH_FUIT/1.0/)

“The Debian Administrator’s Handbook. Debian Jessie from Discovery to Mastery”

by Raphaël Hertzog and Roland Mas.

Copyright © 2003-2015 Raphaël Hertzog

Copyright © 2006-2015 Roland Mas

Copyright © 2012-2015 Freexian SARL

————————

for TDAH_FUIT_2.0 (path: TDAH_FUIT/2.0/)

“The Debian Administrator’s Handbook. Debian Buster from Discovery to Mastery”

by Raphaël Hertzog and Roland Mas

Copyright © 2003-2020 Raphaël Hertzog

Copyright © 2006-2015 Roland Mas

Copyright © 2012-2020 Freexian SARL

Source-book-Version:

for TDAH_FUIT_1.0 (path: TDAH_FUIT/1.0/)

“The Debian Administrator’s Handbook. Debian Jessie from Discovery to Mastery”

October 21, 2015;

ISBN: 979-10-91414-04-3 (English paperback);

ISBN: 979-10-91414-05-0 (English ebook).

————————

for TDAH_FUIT_2.0 (path: TDAH_FUIT/2.0/)

“The Debian Administrator’s Handbook. Debian Buster from Discovery to Mastery”

June 23, 2020;

ISBN: 979-10-91414-19-7 (English paperback);

ISBN: 979-10-91414-20-3 (English ebook).

Web address of the source-book:
Subject of the source-book:

First-source → Debian_8. (Jessie) for TDAH_FUIT_1.0 (path: TDAH_FUIT/1.0/)

Second-source → Debian_10. (Buster) for TDAH_FUIT_2.0 (path: TDAH_FUIT/2.0/)

Distribution of the patch (translation):

free and unofficial, it’s recommended for all UNIX users with free or no-free operating system such as macOS, Ubuntu, Red Hat, FreeBSD, etc.; generically for all operating systems with a PDF reader; for Italian speakers and all people in the world :slight_smile:

Licenses and warranties of the source-book:

This book is available under the terms of two licenses compatible with the Debian Free Software Guidelines. Creative Commons License Notice: This book is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. Creative Commons — Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported — CC BY-SA 3.0

GNU General Public License Notice: This book is free documentation: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.

This book is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program. If not, see Licenses - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation.

Licenses and warranties of the patch (translation):

same licenses and warranties of the original source-book

Urgency:

medium

Maintainers of the source-book (and its authors):

Raphaël Hertzog ([email protected]) and Roland Mas ([email protected]).

Source-book preface authors:

First-source: Stefano Zacchiroli, [email protected] (Debian Project Leader 2010-2013); Lucas Nussbaum, unavailable debian email (Debian Project Leader 2013-2015); Neil McGovern, unavailable debian email (Debian Project Leader 2015-2016)

Second-source: Sam Hartman, [email protected] (Debian Project Leader 2019-2020)

Patch (translation) by:

Antonio Bonaccorso

Description of the patch (translation):

It’s a free, unofficial, different and alternative translation in Italian language of source-book.

Caution:

The information in the source-book or in this patch (translation) is distributed on an “As Is” basis, without warranty.

While every precaution has been taken in the preparation of this work, neither the authors nor the translator shall have any liability to any person or entity with respect to any loss or damage caused or alleged to be caused directly or indirectly by the information contained in it.

Changes:

The related file of this patch (translation) is directly in PDF.

In order to allow fixes and improvements, albeit in A4, this patch (translation) has a similar layout (table of contents and page numbering) of the source-book.

In order to help the readers, using the following ISO characters: [ ], I have added some tips about the terms in technical language (for instance: “deployment”, “NP-complete", “TCO”, “Disaster recovery”, etc.), that the authors have simply mentioned in the source-book.

Because of the dynamic nature of the Internet, any Web addresses or links contained in the source-book and in the patch (translation) may have changed since publication and may no longer be valid.