The new LTS kernel version 5.16.0-12 broke nvidia-driver

Hi. Try installing them from the backports repo, sudo apt install nvidia-driver -t parrot-backports.

2 Likes

I did (I’ve been browsing and I found people with similar problem, with this fix), but some program will still not work properly, like obs. I think it’s because of the new NvFBC patch is still not available yet.

Im having the same problem, hope the will be a better solution rather than installing it from parrot-backports soon.

It may be the case to wait for the upstream. In any case it should not be delayed to arrive, at least not from Parrot.

I’m having the same issue. My nvidia card is not recognised by the system. I tired sudo apt install nvidia-driver -t parrot-backports also

I’m having similiar problems with this update. My issue is for the driver to one of my wifi adapters, rtl8814au. I was given an error saying could not find kernel headers at /path/to/expected/header/llocation or /path/to/expected/header/location2.

Error! echo
Your kernel headers for kernel 5.16.0-12parrot1-amd64 cannot be found at
/lib/modules/5.16.0-12parrot1-amd64/build or /lib/modules/5.16.0-12parrot1-amd64/source.
You can use the --kernelsourcedir option to tell DKMS where it’s located.
An error occurred. dkms build error = 1
Please report this error.

I’ll create a new thread since mine is a different error/issue.

2 Likes

Got the upstream update, but…

sudo apt install nvidia-driver
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
nvidia-driver is already the newest version (470.57.02-3).
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  libnvidia-compiler libnvidia-egl-wayland1 libxnvctrl0
  nvidia-tesla-460-kernel-support
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 8 not upgraded.
2 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Setting up nvidia-kernel-dkms (470.57.02-3) ...
Removing old nvidia-current-470.57.02 DKMS files...

------------------------------
Deleting module version: 470.57.02
completely from the DKMS tree.
------------------------------
Done.
Loading new nvidia-current-470.57.02 DKMS files...
Building for 5.16.0-12parrot1-amd64
Building initial module for 5.16.0-12parrot1-amd64
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.16.0-12par
rot1-amd64 (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/nvidia-current/470.57.02/build/make.log for
 more information.
dpkg: error processing package nvidia-kernel-dkms (--configure):
 installed nvidia-kernel-dkms package post-installation script su
bprocess returned error exit status 10
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of nvidia-driver:
 nvidia-driver depends on nvidia-kernel-dkms (= 470.57.02-3) | nv
idia-kernel-470.57.02; however:
  Package nvidia-kernel-dkms is not configured yet.
  Package nvidia-kernel-470.57.02 is not installed.
  Package nvidia-kernel-dkms which provides nvidia-kernel-470.57.
02 is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package nvidia-driver (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 nvidia-kernel-dkms
 nvidia-driver
Scanning application launchers
Removing duplicate launchers or broken launchers
Launchers are updated
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

For me it installs successfully but doesn’t work after reboot.
smi output is
NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

Edit:
Prints this on install.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/nvidia-persistenced. service → /lib/systemd/system/nvidia-persistenced.service. Job for nvidia-persistenced.service failed because the control process exited wi th error code. See "systemctl status nvidia-persistenced.service" and "journalctl -xeu nvidia-p ersistenced.service" for details.
Logs are empty…

What is your nvidia version?

Try purge nvidia-driver, then install from backport sudo apt install nvidia-driver -t parrot-backports. Ofc make sure your /etc/apt/source.list.d/parrot.list is having parrot-backports branch.

ensured branch is not commented out, installed it, same error
I think it has to do with not having the latest linux headers.
Installing them will error out with

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 linux-headers-5.16.0-12parrot1-amd64 : Depends: linux-compiler-gcc-11-x86

If I recall correctly GCC cannot be installed as of now, I tried to but seem to have failed.

I did install backport version successfully and it works, but obs NvFBC doesn’t work with the backported version, so I’m switching back after the new update which doesn’t work. I’m not sure which version I’m using though, because nvidia-detect doesn’t work, so I just install the generic nvidia-driver. I’m using Nvidia RTX3050 on laptop. Oh, why is cpp-11 gcc-11-base lib32asan6 libasan6 libtsan0 libx32asan6 being kept back, btw?

The linux-compiler-gcc-11-amd64 was the dependcy holding me back from the linux-headers-amd64 package I needed, or so aptitude had revealed. But otherwise I couldn’t find the right linux-headers-amd64 version anywhere and only knew about gcc11 via dumb luck and aptitude. This being the case I looked into my repo config and went to tinkering with the repos and found my solution.

Resolved by uncommenting the Updates/testing repo in

/etc/apt/sources.list.d/parrot.list

then

sudo apt-get update

sudo parrot-upgrade

1 Like

I’m trying to get new install of parrot security 5 working with 3060m and getting similar results as everyone. I’ve tried installing per parrot docs from repository and from nvidia site. With no success
When I boot for first time I get photo missing firmware for nvidia?I try install driver for my card and get kernel panics and server x conflicts can’t find drivers lots of crashes and freezing plus what listed above

trying to get installed but never works. Should I maybe focus on other projects for now?

Hello. Try installing the Nvidia drivers from repository backports by adding -t parrot-backports to the apt command.

2 Likes

After a fresh install of Electric Ara I was unable to install nvidia-driver succesfully through either the default repo or the nvidia installer iitself. Both had different symptoms though: The Parrot distro installer crashed during compile of the dkms component while the nvidia installer installed the driver succesfully but left me in a continuous login loop.

I finally got it installed after reading the install log (go figure) at /var/lib/dkms/nvidia-current/470.57.02/build/make.log. It seems that gcc was unable to find stdarg.h and stddef.h in it’s path. After blacklisting the nouveau driver and booting to runlevel 3, I ran the apt install for nvidia-driver, let it fail, copied stdarg.h and stddef.h from /usr/src/linux-headers-5.16.0-12parrot1-common/include/linux/ to /usr/src/nvidia-current-470.57.02/common/inc/ and re-ran the apt command. Done.

Similar problem
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
Nvidia drivers playing hard to get

Hello. This is because you are using apt in another terminal tab.

This may be true for your system but not universally.
I did exactly this , the only thing which showed any improvement
is nvidia-smi now shows some output.
It sees the Driver Version 470.57.02 CUDA Version: 11.4
It says NVIDIA GeForce … Off.
nvidia-settings : │
ERROR: Unable to load info from any available system
So I guess we have to wait

Thank You!

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.