[Tool Request] Name That Hash

Hey! I built a new tool called Name-that-hash as a replacement to hashID and hash-identifier (we use the same database as them but updated), it has 2 major features:

• Popularity ratings, NTLM is more popular than Skype Hash so it appears sooner in the list.
  • Descriptions, which help pentesters make informed decisions of what type of hash was used.

But a lot more other interesting features such as:

• Updated database & maintained
  • Accessible CLI so screenreaders, people with colour-blindness, people who can’t read big blobs of text can all use it.
  • JSON output, file input, 100% extensible (can easily add new hashes, we have a ton of documentation).

Here’s the TL;DR you need to know

Websites

We also have a webapp: https://nth.skerritt.blog (but note: React is not our strong point at all)

License: MIT (you can use it 100% with no issues)

Download Zip folder
Install via PyPi pip3 install name-that-hash and usage is nth or name-that-hash.

Authors: Bee <@bee_sec_san Twitter> (Website is made by Fawaz, but this post is for the CLI tool).

Pyproject file: Name-That-Hash/pyproject.toml at main · HashPals/Name-That-Hash (github.com)
Setup.py file Name-That-Hash/setup.py at main · HashPals/Name-That-Hash (github.com)

This tool requires very little resources (the same as HashID or Hash-Identifier). HashID is an extension of hash-identifier, see this as a direct extension of HashID.

I’m very active in the open source community see https://github.com/bee-san and provided I don’t get very ill this tool will seek maintenance hopefully forever :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Since I’m not sure if I can edit my original post, The HashPal’s organisation has 3 members now who are committed to keeping the tool update, so even in the sad event that something happens to me the tool will be okay :slight_smile:

Also, one of the core contributors to the original HashID approves of the fork and submitted a PR to update the license to GPL-3-0-or-later, as this project is based off of HashID (well, only the database of hashes) which uses that license.

Add GPL-3.0-or-later license by bburky · Pull Request #14 · HashPals/Name-That-Hash (github.com)

Thanks for making us all aware of your hashing tool Brandon. I’ll reboot later to try the shorter nth.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.