Hey! I built a new tool called Name-that-hash as a replacement to hashID and hash-identifier (we use the same database as them but updated), it has 2 major features:
- Popularity ratings, NTLM is more popular than Skype Hash so it appears sooner in the list.
- Descriptions, which help pentesters make informed decisions of what type of hash was used.
But a lot more other interesting features such as:
- Updated database & maintained
- Accessible CLI so screenreaders, people with colour-blindness, people who can’t read big blobs of text can all use it.
- JSON output, file input, 100% extensible (can easily add new hashes, we have a ton of documentation).
Here’s the TL;DR you need to know
We also have a webapp: https://nth.skerritt.blog (but note: React is not our strong point at all)
License: MIT (you can use it 100% with no issues)
Download Zip folder
Install via PyPi
pip3 install name-that-hash and usage is
Authors: Bee <@bee_sec_san Twitter> (Website is made by Fawaz, but this post is for the CLI tool).
This tool requires very little resources (the same as HashID or Hash-Identifier). HashID is an extension of hash-identifier, see this as a direct extension of HashID.
I’m very active in the open source community see https://github.com/bee-san and provided I don’t get very ill this tool will seek maintenance hopefully forever