Tor Browser Not Launching

Briefly describe your issue below:

Tor Browser not launching? Anonsurf still will route everything thru the tor network, ip changes, all on that front works, but the actual tor browser will not launch

This is what I get when trying to launch tor from command line

Sep 10 19:07:28.812 [notice] Tor 0.3.3.9 (git-ca1a436fa8e53a32) running on Linux with Libevent 2.1.8-stable, OpenSSL 1.1.0h, Zlib 1.2.11, Liblzma 5.2.2, and Libzstd 1.3.5.
Sep 10 19:07:28.812 [notice] Tor can’t help you if you use it wrong! Learn how to be safe at https://www.torproject.org/download/download#warning
Sep 10 19:07:28.812 [notice] Read configuration file “/etc/tor/torrc”.
Sep 10 19:07:28.815 [notice] Scheduler type KIST has been enabled.
Sep 10 19:07:28.815 [notice] Opening Socks listener on 127.0.0.1:9050
Sep 10 19:07:28.815 [notice] Opening DNS listener on 127.0.0.1:53
Sep 10 19:07:28.815 [warn] Could not bind to 127.0.0.1:53: Permission denied
Sep 10 19:07:28.815 [notice] Opening Transparent pf/netfilter listener on 127.0.0.1:9040
Sep 10 19:07:28.815 [notice] Opening Control listener on 127.0.0.1:9051
Sep 10 19:07:28.815 [notice] Closing partially-constructed Socks listener on 127.0.0.1:9050
Sep 10 19:07:28.815 [notice] Closing partially-constructed Transparent pf/netfilter listener on 127.0.0.1:9040
Sep 10 19:07:28.815 [notice] Closing partially-constructed Control listener on 127.0.0.1:9051
Sep 10 19:07:28.815 [warn] Failed to parse/validate config: Failed to bind one of the listener ports.
Sep 10 19:07:28.815 [err] Reading config failed–see warnings above.

What version of Parrot are you running? (include version, edition, and architecture)
What method did you use to install Parrot? (Debian Standard / Debian GTK / parrot-experimental)
USB
Configured to multiboot with other systems? (yes / no)
No
If there are any similar issues or solutions, link to them below:
No
If there are any error messages or relevant logs, post them below:

Yep Tor launcher is bust.

1 Like

hmm, tbb cant use port 53
check port with netstat -tulpn

Everything is working fine with tor expect torbrowser-launcher and yes we must wait on debian buster team…sad day.

Here’s my code when running torbrowser-launcher this time:

Reading profile /etc/firejail/torbrowser-launcher.profile
Reading profile /etc/firejail/disable-common.inc
Reading profile /etc/firejail/disable-devel.inc
Reading profile /etc/firejail/disable-interpreters.inc
Reading profile /etc/firejail/disable-passwdmgr.inc
Reading profile /etc/firejail/disable-programs.inc
Reading profile /etc/firejail/whitelist-common.inc
Reading profile /etc/firejail/whitelist-var-common.inc
Parent pid 29020, child pid 29021
Warning: skipping pki for private /etc
Warning: skipping crypto-policies for private /etc
Warning: skipping alsa for private /etc
Warning: skipping asound.conf for private /etc
Warning: skipping alternativex for private /etc
Private /etc installed in 23.44 ms
55 programs installed in 84.65 ms
Warning: cleaning all supplementary groups
Blacklist violations are logged to syslog
Child process initialized in 157.69 ms
Tor Browser Launcher
By Micah Lee, licensed under MIT
version 0.2.9

Refreshing local keyring…
Launching ‘./Browser/start-tor-browser --detach’…

Parent is shutting down, bye…

and nothing happens…lol

Tor Browser is also not working for me. I get the error in the image and starting it again doesn’t work. Tor%20Browser

Advisory: Tor Browser 7.x has a serious vuln/bugdoor leading to full bypass of Tor / NoScript ‘Safest’ security level (supposed to block all JS).
PoC: Set the Content-Type of your html/js page to “text/html;/json” and enjoy full JS pwnage. Newly released Tor 8.x is Not affected.

2 Likes

Yup i got the same thing, 4.1 and 4.2, so i took the advice from parrot and externally loaded tor browser, which works fine.
When debian updates it will probably work good.
I also had the same issue a year ago on a different platform subgraph os, sent an email then it later on it got fixed with the updates.

it has to be something with the keyring and the gpg2 keys. i dont think it would be hard to fix that. there working on it rn i bet…

Updated today and torbrowser-launcher now launches and everything appears to be working correctly at first then it boots to very small windows with no internet connectivity

The tor still does not work
I do not know what to do.

Tor now loads but then it shows this…

2 Likes

I got tor to work by downloading from the site, navigating to the folder and then executing that package (you will have two packages but the one you downloaded will be the one you want to keep. removing the old one is probably best done before configuring the one manuallly downloaded just to be nice and neat, but you need to then either replace the old one with the one that works. It may also help to ensure that tor browser (old) actually stops being an active process by killing it. It may give you a handful of dialouges before it behaves and cleanly and completely stops, but i did verify that it does work at this current moment, albeit with some extra steps than normally needed

I kindly inform that Tor after the latest firejail fix, works smoothly again :slight_smile:

1 Like