Tor Error Message

Hi There.

I’m new to the OS, and to Linux as a whole, frankly, and am working on getting my footing. I have installed the OS (Version 4.1). Unfortunately, when I go to boot Tor, I run into an issue. Upon clicking on it, it downloaded and installed properly, but when it went to get started, I am prompted with an error window saying:

“Tor unexpectedly exited. This might be due to a bug in Tor itself, anotherr program on your system, or faulty hardware. Until you restart Tor, the Tor Browser will not able to reach any websites. If the problem persists, please send a copy of your Tor Log to the support team. Restarting Tor will not close your browser tabs.”

When I attempt to restart Tor, the window pops up again. Any suggestions?

Like I said, new to the OS and it was just installed (completely bare).

Thank you very much.

1 Like

You need to make little changes in start-tor-browser file. Use your favourite editor to change file.

if [ “id -u” -eq 0 ]; then
complain “The Tor Browser Bundle should not be run as root. Exiting.”
exit 1
fi

You should add “#” in front of every line.

It should look like this:
#if [ “id -u” -eq 0 ]; then
#complain “The Tor Browser Bundle should not be run as root. Exiting.”
#exit 1
#fi

Tell us if problem solved.
X3N

For what its worth, I tried the change you suggested and I still have the same issue as the original poster.

I tried some troubleshooting. Changed the following 3 lines to 1

log_output=1
show_output=1
show_usage=1

When I launched tor from command line I got the following error;
Jun 11 12:59:25.756 [warn] Could not bind to 127.0.0.1:53: Permission denied

Googling told me that was often a problem with the torrc file so i did a locate and saw there was one in the anonsurf folder. Other posts had anonsurf so I removed it completely. Tor then ‘starts’ from a command line but still the browser does not launch and if launched only from the icon it gives the same error, restart error loop.

Here is what it shows on screen.

┌─[✗]─[rahlquist@parrot]─[~]
└──╼ $tor
Jun 11 13:13:21.907 [notice] Tor 0.3.3.6 (git-c9903102c98cd028) running on Linux with Libevent 2.1.8-stable, OpenSSL 1.1.0h, Zlib 1.2.11, Liblzma 5.2.2, and Libzstd 1.3.4.
Jun 11 13:13:21.907 [notice] Tor can’t help you if you use it wrong! Learn how to be safe at Tor Project | Download
Jun 11 13:13:21.907 [notice] Read configuration file “/etc/tor/torrc”.
Jun 11 13:13:21.910 [notice] Scheduler type KIST has been enabled.
Jun 11 13:13:21.910 [notice] Opening Socks listener on 127.0.0.1:9050
Jun 11 13:13:21.000 [notice] Parsing GEOIP IPv4 file /usr/share/tor/geoip.
Jun 11 13:13:22.000 [notice] Parsing GEOIP IPv6 file /usr/share/tor/geoip6.
Jun 11 13:13:22.000 [notice] Bootstrapped 0%: Starting
Jun 11 13:13:22.000 [notice] Starting with guard context “default”
Jun 11 13:13:22.000 [notice] Bootstrapped 80%: Connecting to the Tor network
Jun 11 13:13:23.000 [notice] Bootstrapped 85%: Finishing handshake with first hop
Jun 11 13:13:24.000 [notice] Bootstrapped 90%: Establishing a Tor circuit
Jun 11 13:13:24.000 [notice] Tor has successfully opened a circuit. Looks like client functionality is working.
Jun 11 13:13:24.000 [notice] Bootstrapped 100%: Done

Try this command:
chown -hR root tor-browser_en-US

Make sure to open Tor from non-root user.

Tell us if works.
X3N

I bet i had this problem and solved it in past, but can’t remember what was the right solution.
At least i am trying to help somehow :slight_smile:

No, that apppears to have made it worse. The browser now attempts to install the browser every time launched. IT finishes with the error;

Tor Browser Launcher doesn’t understand the file format of /home/rahlquist/.cache/torbrowser/download/tor-browser-linux64-7.5.5_en_US.tar.xz

I undid the change you provided and reassigned my users tor directory back to my user, then the install finished and tor now works

sudo chown -hR rahlquist /home/rahlquist/.local/share/torbrowser/tbb/x86_64/tor-browser_en-US

The above is how I restored it. Unfortunately the few security bookmarks I had curated are gone.

1 Like

hi, I have the same problem, I just wanted to know how you got to the start-tor-browser-file

@YATZEEE
A basic command to find it or any file for that matter:
sudo find / -name "start-tor-browser"

or without sudo (probably better)
find $HOME -name "start-tor-browser"

It should be in something like home/‘user’/.local/share/torbrowser/… other tor stuff

I am glad you got it solved.
Regards, X3N. :sunglasses:

Thanks, this really helped me. (I’m new to this stuff)

1 Like