Tor - no browsing results with the safest option

Hi everyone!

On my new installed Parrot I launched Tor set on the safest option for browsing and I get no results when searching for something - nothing. The moment I change it to the “safer” option it works flawless.
But why don’t I get any results? I’m new to Linux and sudo.

I have done “sudo apt update” and “sudo apt full-upgrade”. I removed and reinstalled Tor with the synaptic package manager, no change.

help is appreciated.

DISTRIB_ID=Parrot
DISTRIB_RELEASE=4.10
DISTRIB_CODENAME=rolling
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION=“Parrot 4.10”
PRETTY_NAME=“Parrot GNU/Linux 4.10”
NAME=“Parrot GNU/Linux”
ID=parrot
ID_LIKE=debian
VERSION=“4.10”
VERSION_ID=“4.10”

uname -a:
Linux pc 5.7.0-2parrot2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.7.10-1parrot2 (2020-07-31) x86_64 GNU/Linux

fresh install with the Calamares installer, ISO created on Mint with the USB creator
single boot

This is because the “safest option” disables javascript/blocks potential issues yet those same features are required by many web pages.

For a safer experience try: https://3g2upl4pq6kufc4m.onion/html (Duckduckgo hidden service)

The .onion link is end to end encrypted between tor client and server. Multiple extra hops add extra layers of network to better protect privacy.

Set this as your main search engine link. You can use it on safest mode. :slight_smile:

thanks for the replay, but this is not the cause.
I installed Parrot before and I got always results within the “saftest option”.
It was like you mentioned “disabled javascript results” but there where results.

I don’t get it why? the link is great, thx

Once in a while there is a ‘bug’ that gets patched… In fact I thought I remembered this bug.

Check here to see why it worked before:

Maybe there is really a difference in versions?

This bug was patched before I installed Parrot OS for the first time. I think that was in may or june 2020. With the new installation a few days ago it doesn’t work anymore. But it is the same ISO.

When I setup the Tor to “safest options” I always got non-javascript results. How is it for you, do you get some results with this setting searching something or just a blank page like in my first post?

I want to check if it is something that just happen to my Tor browser or it’s common.

The story on previous version mistakenly allowing javascript, was a bug on safest mode (as you described exactly).

Sometimes versions take a bit to update in the OS. This is what happened 100%. No need for further concern. I tested it myself and (as it should) redirects me to the html site (as it blocks javascript).

Closing thread. Thank you for bringing it to attention anyways. :slight_smile: