Unable to start TOR Browser - Parrot 4.0

no problem with me i just install torbrowser-launcher, i have a problem with the tor signature verfification but i install the pip service-identity which was not the good one on my pc, and after that no problem to launch tor browser.
but for me i remove firejail of my distro for multiple reason and one is tor app were fucked…

Just to say Palinuro but onioncircuits is launch by default with python2 or this is a python3 script so for launching i make an 1000e alias onioncircuits=“sudo python3 /usr/bin/onioncircuits” :wink:

It’s not working …

Before all when you start your torbrowser make a ps -A | grep tor just to see if tor launch correctly the process…

Remove privoxy and do a sudo apt install --reinstall tor torbrowser and if still unable to work…

Remove and purge all your tor package
and privoxy and polipo if installed. uninstall anonsurf too

and after that just install this package:

sudo apt install anonsurf torbrowser-launcher tor
yeah i know there is no need tor because thats a dependency blablabla but do it

and come back if there is some problem but i repeat it for all and palinuro the firejail is a cool idea, safe etc etc but thats a fucking headache to configure new app or unblacklisted them. I remove firejail and a lot of bugs/tor app work fine now

I repeat for me all work and i have just install it.

1 Like

Yes annon surf is working perfectly, here is my torrc from tor :

##define virtual network mask
VirtualAddrNetwork 10.192.0.0/10
AutomapHostsOnResolve 1
AutomapHostsSuffixes .exit,.onion

#define tor ports and explicitly declare some security flags
TransPort 127.0.0.1:9040 IsolateClientAddr IsolateSOCKSAuth IsolateClientProtocol IsolateDestPort IsolateDestAddr
SocksPort 127.0.0.1:9050 IsolateClientAddr IsolateSOCKSAuth IsolateClientProtocol IsolateDestPort IsolateDestAddr
ControlPort 9051
HashedControlPassword 16:FDE8ED505C45C8BA602385E2CA5B3250ED00AC0920FEC1230813A1F86F

#use tor to resolve domain names
DNSPort 127.0.0.1:53

#daemonize
RunAsDaemon 1

#use hardware accaleration when possible for crypto
HardwareAccel 1

#socket safety hacks
TestSocks 1
AllowNonRFC953Hostnames 0
WarnPlaintextPorts 23,109,110,143,80

#dns safety hacks
ClientRejectInternalAddresses 1

#circuit hacks
NewCircuitPeriod 40
MaxCircuitDirtiness 600
MaxClientCircuitsPending 48
UseEntryGuards 1
EnforceDistinctSubnets 1

try what i say before :wink: maybe a conf problembecause i have just intsall when i saw this post and all work properly for me and if dont work try to rmeove firejail (you can reinstall it after this test :wink: )

.local/share/torbrowser/tbb/x86_64/tor-browser_en-US/Browser
You can also add Tor Browser to your desktop’s application menu.
Copy and paste

Thank you all … @rl1k - I have tried uninstalling , purging everything , but still getting the same error … I don’t know , I guess I have to try something else … but anyway thankyou …

Got a link so we can see what was done to fix it since there are a dozen suggested fixes that arent working?

Some of you may be experiencing AppArmor issues. Just confirmed this issue on Parrot 4.1 fully patched. When trying to Tor from user / menu etc same result.

cd /var/log/
cat /var/log/syslog | grep tor 

You will see something similiar:
DATE YOURFQDN kernel: [ 5410.821781] audit: type=1400 audit(1528779710.820:5499): apparmor=“DENIED” operation=“open” profile=“torbrowser_firefox” name="/run/firejail/mnt/fslogger" pid=6299 comm=“DataStorage” requested_mask=“r” denied_mask=“r” fsuid=1000 ouid=0

The app armor profiels for tor exist here:
/etc/apparmor.d/torbrowser.Browser.firefox

@Hugo , in the future use some OpSec.

Your config you posted contains a Hashed key which would be used to identify yourself by your adversaries. Anytime you are sharing / testing configs it’s best to “censor” any information that can identify yourself or your system.

1 Like

Here is a solution
Tor Error Message

1)Use the command in terminal to find Tor file’s shortcut:
sudo find / -name “start-tor-browser”
The path should be like that: /home/user/.local/share/torbrowser/tbb/x86_64/tor-browser_us/

2)Then copy the link and paste it in caja or open in terminal

3)use the shortcut of start-tor-browser-file (its name is: “Tor Browser”)

3 Likes

Thankyou …

Thank you! So now it is possible to start TOR via the icon but is it possible to fix the link in the start menu so I won’t have to browse through the file explorer?

To launch tor brwoser with the menu icon :

copy the line Exec=sh -c '"/home/... from the /home/user/.local/share/torbrowser/tbb/x86_64/tor-browser_us/start-tor-browser.desktop and paste it into the Exec line of the /usr/share/applications/torbrowser.desktop

this will run tor but without using firejail wich seems to cause problems…

2 Likes

Any updates on a fix to the Firejail profiles? I’d like to be able to use Tor Browser and not rely on the “anonsurf” scripts for Firefox Privacy :frowning:

Sinaptic and upgrade the torbroswer-launcher to version 0.2.9-3
It worked, it’s working fine.

2 Likes

thanks it works very fine

we discovered that most of the torbrowser-launcher issues are caused by the debian apparmor profile

Thank you!