Unable to start TOR Browser - Parrot 4.0

Thank you all … @rl1k - I have tried uninstalling , purging everything , but still getting the same error … I don’t know , I guess I have to try something else … but anyway thankyou …

Got a link so we can see what was done to fix it since there are a dozen suggested fixes that arent working?

Some of you may be experiencing AppArmor issues. Just confirmed this issue on Parrot 4.1 fully patched. When trying to Tor from user / menu etc same result.

cd /var/log/
cat /var/log/syslog | grep tor 

You will see something similiar:
DATE YOURFQDN kernel: [ 5410.821781] audit: type=1400 audit(1528779710.820:5499): apparmor=“DENIED” operation=“open” profile=“torbrowser_firefox” name="/run/firejail/mnt/fslogger" pid=6299 comm=“DataStorage” requested_mask=“r” denied_mask=“r” fsuid=1000 ouid=0

The app armor profiels for tor exist here:
/etc/apparmor.d/torbrowser.Browser.firefox

@Hugo , in the future use some OpSec.

Your config you posted contains a Hashed key which would be used to identify yourself by your adversaries. Anytime you are sharing / testing configs it’s best to “censor” any information that can identify yourself or your system.

1 Like

Here is a solution
Tor Error Message

1)Use the command in terminal to find Tor file’s shortcut:
sudo find / -name “start-tor-browser”
The path should be like that: /home/user/.local/share/torbrowser/tbb/x86_64/tor-browser_us/

2)Then copy the link and paste it in caja or open in terminal

3)use the shortcut of start-tor-browser-file (its name is: “Tor Browser”)

3 Likes

Thankyou …

Thank you! So now it is possible to start TOR via the icon but is it possible to fix the link in the start menu so I won’t have to browse through the file explorer?

To launch tor brwoser with the menu icon :

copy the line Exec=sh -c '"/home/... from the /home/user/.local/share/torbrowser/tbb/x86_64/tor-browser_us/start-tor-browser.desktop and paste it into the Exec line of the /usr/share/applications/torbrowser.desktop

this will run tor but without using firejail wich seems to cause problems…

2 Likes

Any updates on a fix to the Firejail profiles? I’d like to be able to use Tor Browser and not rely on the “anonsurf” scripts for Firefox Privacy :frowning:

Sinaptic and upgrade the torbroswer-launcher to version 0.2.9-3
It worked, it’s working fine.

2 Likes

thanks it works very fine

we discovered that most of the torbrowser-launcher issues are caused by the debian apparmor profile

Thank you!