Universal Access Options

Good afternoon;

I and many of my peers who are Blind/Visually Impaired cannot use your product out of the box. In installing the software I ran into the issue when after install there were no options for screen magnification or for my friends who are totally Blind screen reader software in Parrot Security. This is of great concern because it would seem as though your distribution is keeping out those who have these sorts of impairments from your tool. I really like the work that you have done thus far and want to continue to recommend this product to other Security conscious users.

Any assistance on this would be greatly appreciated.

3 Likes

this is a fantastic point. I know you have to click a (small) box under screen magnification under accessibility menu in the control panel but I have never actually used it. Was it hard for you to access or find? what is lacking or needs to be improved to help solve this for people with similar needs? I think its not only just often not thought of at all but may also be poorly planned and implemented with respect to the fact that you need to be able to find the setting to change in the first place while unable to see it well or at all sometimes in the first place. This is a great oppurtunity to expand my overall perspective on being accessible equally to all those who have the desire and drive, thank you for that

1 Like

Good evening;

I am not a new user to Linux but I am not finding the enlargement option in the release that I downloaded today from the site. If you could guide me I would be very grateful.

1 Like

I sent you a message!

1 Like

You could install Orca:
sudo apt install gnome-orca

Then run Orca setup:
orca -s

Optional: You can autostart Orca with MATE DE
eval $(dbus-launch); export DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID
GSETTINGS_BACKEND=dconf gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.a11y.applications screen-reader-enabled true
GSETTINGS_BACKEND=dconf gsettings set org.mate.interface accessibility true
GSETTINGS_BACKEND=dconf gsettings set org.mate.applications-at-visual startup true

See the Orca page on Debian Wiki

2 Likes