VPN ideas

(Keyboard) #21

Depending of vpn you will need one plugin or another. For example, to use openvpn you can download and install it from the synaptic manager. Afterwards configuration files usually given by the vpns providers allows you to use the terminal as this “openvpn name of vpn file” auth username auth password.
That’s an example.

(Jorge Carretero) #22

Yes, as @UserOfMouse says , just first install with Terminal and sudo, you can also download the crt files and all from the VPN of your choice, example VPNBook, you will need to provide those files and a password, i have only tried to do this manually once, with no success :disappointed_relieved: please post your findings about it.

(mick) #23

I have been running pia for some years now…
https://www.blackmoreops.com/category/virtual-private-network-vpn/

(the grumpy old man) #24

Blockquote Dan: Yeah. We generally consider commercial VPNs to be like a hide pot. They paint an enormous target on the back of whoever is operating that VPN because now a hacker or a government or a VPN company’s employee, they know that they have all this data going through a single point. They know that if they sniff that, if they manipulate it, they’ll get access to hundreds of thousands of people’s data at one time.

iis the Truth with capital T

In short:

VPN sucks, TOR rocks :smiley:

If tor blocked in your country use bridges

(Abdel Rhman Anter) #26

(mick) #27

Well … bit disappointed in having a vpn now :confused:
while syncing firefox with WebRTC disabled… i see my real ip address.

how did you disable WebRTC ?
Which site you use to check ?
Also dont forget that starting the vpn like openvpn --config file.ovpn not enough, you need a killswitch, and set your dns to reduce the chance of the possible dns leak.

(mick) #29

Thanks… gorbe
I have firefox wedrtc disabled… been awhile since i originally started using it… also addon’s badger, unblock and no script… vpn is implemented on start up.
As for testing… I didn’t do a test just happened when i snyced account with gmail on firefox… showed my ip add… for login… while the vpn shows another ip add in different location… I think that stun was the cause as i logged in… I added the killswitch… will get and configure gateway.
just on port s… i think i can nmap scan udp and tcp ports then set them to vpn… tor default is still 8080…anyway : what i think i know tends to be less in reality: things to do… :wink:

I suggest you some site to test:

https://www.dnsleaktest.com/

(Mike Snowhill) #31

Interesting…Very interesting…I would like to see that mathematicians paper if you can find the link …??

(Emmanuel Goldstein) #32

TOR is superior to a VPN for so many reasons. ( I would like to note that the proper way to securely use TOR is to connect first through a VPN, then tunnel your TOR connection across your VPN. This technique eliminates the possibility of your ISP seeing your TOR usage.)
However,
#1 Using TOR eliminates “3rd part providers” who turn over customer records. VPN’s, even if you build them yourself in the cloud, you are a customer of who ever is providing those cloud VMs. They will turn you over with nothing more than a pre-emptive discovery motion, in civil court.
#2 Using a VPN instead of TOR is very risky. That VPN provider now has complete visibility into your traffic. 80 percent of VPN companies are sleazbags.
#3 Security is a journey, not a destination. Use TOR. Use VPNs. Encourage others to use TOR. Run an exit node for TOR. Wide spread usage of anonymous technologies is the first step in having a chance of protecting ourselves.

This is what happens when you give machine guns to monkeys.

Blockquote
Kernel_TrollGuinea Pig Squad MemberMar 24
Found this for anyone interested in Network Security and tinkering with their own VPN. It’s interesting the guys who built this don’t believe in using TOR and I tend to agree with them. If you are loving building this and want a secured internet connection with the web try this.
Blockquote

(Lorenzo "Palinuro" Faletra) #33

i agree with you

VPN has NOTHING to do with anonymity, while it could have something to do with privacy, but only in case of self-hosted VPNs

virtual private networks are just vie0rtual networks (LANs) which are supposed to be private if you own both the server and the clients

onion routing systems (tor or i2p) are true anonymization systems

please don’t confuse them

Best Practices

It would be best if you used your VPN pi to hide your TOR pi. Your ISP can tell that you are using TOR and most probably slow down / throttle your network speed.

If you use the VPN to hide your TOR the result will be fantastic because your ISP will think that you are using a VPN while you will be using TOR and it will improve your security. VPNs can hide your location if TOR fails.

@g0rbe Consider the above to make your decision.

ah, forget it, it was a hasty idea.
the best method is the bridged tor

@g0rbe OK! I just expressed my idea.

The idea itself is good :slight_smile:
The problem is the VPN, i never ever can trust a VPN
The pluggable transport make my connection look like a junk, so an ISP looks a junk traffic instead of VPN.
And who know what VPN do with your connection?

to prevent ip leaks through web rtc u need at lest do this:

1. go to about:config
  2. media.peerconection.enabled change to false

but much better protection - tor transparent proxy of all trafic.

(517hum 54nd33p4) #40

What will happen when tor node/relay monitoring it’s traffic? If they can/do inspect Packets?

#>> The Onion Box provides a web interface to monitor the operation of a Tor node.

wait what?? VPN is also for anonymity for sure lol… Pay your VPN with bitcoin or whateverANONcoin, and take a no log policy and take the one who already prove they dont keep/give logs and say me how that isnt for anonymity??? In case of tor you can look the Lulz story about “how they prove this was this guy on Tor with 99.99%”